TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New to thread Charging, procurement questions

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by loveonion, Jul 21, 2014.

1. loveonion

loveonion New Member

Hi I'm a New Jersey resident and am beginning to look in to the Roadster as an option to accompany my motorcycling buddies on annual trips ( this year the Blue Ridge Parkway). I like the Model S but frankly I'm drawn to the convertible, style, and novelty. In layman's terms, is it possible to charge a Roadster at the current public charging stations ? Any advice on how to go about purchasing a Roadster ?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul J - a Roadster curious NJ resident

2. augkuo

augkuo Member

Sure - but how much time do you have? The public chargers are limited to 30A 200V so you'll get about 24 miles per hour - the range of the roadster is about 200 miles so you might have to spend a couple days driving getting there and back.
    Check out PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and use the filters to only look at roadster HPCs - those will get you charged up in 3 hours but usually are at private residences.

There are some cars listed on this board's classifieds and you can look at ebay or on the Telsa Motors CPO site - Certified Pre-Owned | Tesla Motors. The good thing about a CPO roadster is that the warranty is for 3 years including the battery
    so you'll pay a little more upfront. Good luck!