Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tweet from Tesla: will sell their own CCS adaptor “soon” in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla cared anything at all about the customer, they would produce more than enough adapters and charging equipment for the demand that is out there.

I would say the same thing about the CCS1 adapter. Time to crank up production Tesla. There is no reason not to.

We need to be able to charge anywhere and everywhere there is electricity.

Anybody would think that there is some kind of problem that's making it hard to get a reliable supply of parts.

I am not aware of such a shortage for the mechanical and electrical (as opposed to electronic) parts for this adapter. Indeed, multiple 3rd party companies are producing adapters.
How many are those 3rd parties selling?

Either they don't want to sell them or there's a problem meeting anticipated demand. The CCP's whackamole lockdowns certainly aren't helping on the supply side.

I am not aware of such a shortage for the mechanical and electrical (as opposed to electronic) parts for this adapter. Indeed, multiple 3rd party companies are producing adapters.
Sure, but other companies can get away with not providing retrofits for non-CCS capable Teslas. Tesla itself has to be able to retrofit before they officially release an adapter. Can you imagine the outcry from people with 2021 cars that lack CCS (due to the chip shortage at that time) if they didn’t?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Sure, but other companies can get away with not providing retrofits for non-CCS capable Teslas. Tesla itself has to be able to retrofit before they officially release an adapter. Can you imagine the outcry from people with 2021 cars that lack CCS (due to the chip shortage at that time) if they didn’t?
As the owner of a 2018, I don't have to imagine it. But I don't think that would be a factor at all. It makes no sense to deny the newer car owners the adapter for this reason, even the ones who got 2021 cars with the older chip. It is what it is.

In addition, when I put the adapter in my shopping cart, it says "Your car is not compatible with this adapter." So they obviously are ready to sell it to people in that situation and have coded the web site to understand that -- of course it will eventually offer the upgrade.

I bought the gen4 chip for my older car, they will sell it. They may eventually make a gen4 unit that is just for 2018 cars that doesn't need the "bundle o'wires" but the module today just drops into the 2021 cars and they don't need to make new hardware. They may have a limited supply, though.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
How many are those 3rd parties selling?

Either they don't want to sell them or there's a problem meeting anticipated demand. The CCP's whackamole lockdowns certainly aren't helping on the supply side.

To sell the CCS adapter in NA Tesla will need the electronic to be able to upgrade the non-CCS cars to be able to support CCS. Selling the adapter and only supporting cars that already have the chips that support CCS will make a lot of people unhappy. I have a July 2020 car with CCS support. Some people with newer cars don't have the chips, as tesla had to go back to using old electronics due to the lack of supply.

I would expect that they will need to hire more people for the service team to support this rollout.

Reactions: Rocky_H
To sell the CCS adapter in NA Tesla will need the electronic to be able to upgrade the non-CCS cars to be able to support CCS. Selling the adapter and only supporting cars that already have the chips that support CCS will make a lot of people unhappy. I have a July 2020 car with CCS support. Some people with newer cars don't have the chips, as tesla had to go back to using old electronics due to the lack of supply.

I would expect that they will need to hire more people for the service team to support this rollout.
I do not have the new chip in my car (but I bought it.) I think not selling the adapter makes a lot more people unhappy, then selling it only to those with a new chip would make unhappy. It would be very petty and dog-in-manger of me to protest so that the owners of newer cars can't get the adapter just because it won't do any good for me.

They may eventually make a gen4 unit that is just for 2018 cars that doesn't need the "bundle o'wires" but the module today just drops into the 2021 cars and they don't need to make new hardware.
I think they do need new hardware. Maybe not hugely different, but different, for at least two reasons:
  • The "bundle of wires" solution hacks the temperature sensor in such a way that it provides inaccurate readings at most temperatures. It should be safe, because the crossover point is where the car is believed to shut down charging if the temperature exceeds that value, but the inaccurate temperature reading could be an issue in other circumstances, or if Tesla decides to change the way its cars respond to temperature in the future.
  • As I understand it, cars with the Gen4 hardware include a heating element in the charge port to prevent them from freezing up. Gen3 cars lack this feature, and instead unlock the charge port when charging is finished in cold weather so as to minimize the risk that the charge plug will end up frozen to the car. The "bundle of wires" solution may cause Gen3 cars used in cold weather to be more likely to suffer from frozen charge ports, since the software would try to do the wrong thing in cold weather.
It's possible that these solutions could be overcome in software, but this would require that the software know that a Gen4 was being used with the "bundle of wires." This might be possible to do, especially if Tesla were to install the hardware and therefore could set a flag on affected cars, but a cleaner solution would be to provide a slightly tweaked Gen4 charge port ECU that could properly identify the hardware to the software.
To sell the CCS adapter in NA Tesla will need the electronic to be able to upgrade the non-CCS cars to be able to support CCS. Selling the adapter and only supporting cars that already have the chips that support CCS will make a lot of people unhappy.
Tesla could sell the CCS1 adapter with the caveat that it works only with CCS-enabled vehicles. The fact that this would make some people unhappy doesn't prevent this. In fact, people are unhappy that they can't buy the adapter directly from Tesla in North America today.

That said, I think that Tesla may well be delaying introduction of the adapter until they can offer a retrofit for older cars. This is a business decision, though; they may be trying to keep customers happy in one way, but I don't believe their hand is being forced on the issue.

I think they do need new hardware. Maybe not hugely different, but different, for at least two reasons:
  • The "bundle of wires" solution hacks the temperature sensor in such a way that it provides inaccurate readings at most temperatures. It should be safe, because the crossover point is where the car is believed to shut down charging if the temperature exceeds that value, but the inaccurate temperature reading could be an issue in other circumstances, or if Tesla decides to change the way its cars respond to temperature in the future.
  • As I understand it, cars with the Gen4 hardware include a heating element in the charge port to prevent them from freezing up. Gen3 cars lack this feature, and instead unlock the charge port when charging is finished in cold weather so as to minimize the risk that the charge plug will end up frozen to the car. The "bundle of wires" solution may cause Gen3 cars used in cold weather to be more likely to suffer from frozen charge ports, since the software would try to do the wrong thing in cold weather.
It's possible that these solutions could be overcome in software, but this would require that the software know that a Gen4 was being used with the "bundle of wires." This might be possible to do, especially if Tesla were to install the hardware and therefore could set a flag on affected cars, but a cleaner solution would be to provide a slightly tweaked Gen4 charge port ECU that could properly identify the hardware to the software.

Tesla could sell the CCS1 adapter with the caveat that it works only with CCS-enabled vehicles. The fact that this would make some people unhappy doesn't prevent this. In fact, people are unhappy that they can't buy the adapter directly from Tesla in North America today.

That said, I think that Tesla may well be delaying introduction of the adapter until they can offer a retrofit for older cars. This is a business decision, though; they may be trying to keep customers happy in one way, but I don't believe their hand is being forced on the issue.
It's a strange business decision. What right or reason do owners of older cars like me have to be "upset" that they are selling the adapter to people who got newer cars? I mean I am sure a few people would whine, because they are anti-social dogs in the manger, "if I can't get it nobody should get it" -- but why would Tesla or anybody else listen to them?

Of course I want them to offer the controller upgrade as soon as they can, but I can't see why I would want them to punish others until they do.

While I have bought the gen4 controller and bundle, I suspect that when Tesla releases a new version of the gen4 controller which plugs into the old connector (the most likely approach) I will sell my gen4 controller to somebody, perhaps at a small loss, and write off my bundle of wires

It's a strange business decision. What right or reason do owners of older cars like me have to be "upset" that they are selling the adapter to people who got newer cars? I mean I am sure a few people would whine, because they are anti-social dogs in the manger, "if I can't get it nobody should get it" -- but why would Tesla or anybody else listen to them?

Of course I want them to offer the controller upgrade as soon as they can, but I can't see why I would want them to punish others until they do.

While I have bought the gen4 controller and bundle, I suspect that when Tesla releases a new version of the gen4 controller which plugs into the old connector (the most likely approach) I will sell my gen4 controller to somebody, perhaps at a small loss, and write off my bundle of wires
The issues is some of the older cars can get it and work, some of the newer cars don't have the hardware for CCS support today.

For example, my July 2020 has the chips that support CCS. Thus I was able to order the adapter from SK and work without issue. people with newer cars will complain that their car was nerfed as it doesn't have the chip, but older cars do. Thus if tesla is able to schedule an appointment for people with newer cars they don't get as upset.

The issues is some of the older cars can get it and work, some of the newer cars don't have the hardware for CCS support today.

For example, my July 2020 has the chips that support CCS. Thus I was able to order the adapter from SK and work without issue. people with newer cars will complain that their car was nerfed as it doesn't have the chip, but older cars do. Thus if tesla is able to schedule an appointment for people with newer cars they don't get as upset.
They might, but again, why would we deprive the others just to keep them happy in an antisocial way? When all these people bought these cars, nowhere was it specified that it was CCS enabled as far as I know. Now, they will feel annoyed perhaps if they have to pay while the guys who bought the cars before them don't have to pay. They might give upgrades free to the 2021 cars, and charge me money for the upgrade for the 2018. But I can see no valid argument of "Don't let the people buying cars now get adapters until you have an upgrade for me!" What do you lose if those other customers get adapters? I know about the psychology of it, but it's irrational.

On the other hand, if I bought a car in 2022 and Tesla said to me, "Sorry, we have a warehouse full of adapters but we won't sell them to you because some people who bought cars in 2021 can't use them and will make pouty faces" -- then they would have a rational reason to be angry.

They migh alsot want to wait until they are ready to open up their network to CCS vehicles to try to balance potential revenue losses with potential revenue gains.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
They might also want to wait until they are ready to open up their network to CCS vehicles to try to balance potential revenue losses with potential revenue gains.
Possibly, or they are looking to allow others to use the SC network (along with expanding into some of the CCS-only locations) before they crush the CCS network to where CCS-only cars have issues with huge lines.

Possibly, or they are looking to allow others to use the SC network (along with expanding into some of the CCS-only locations) before they crush the CCS network to where CCS-only cars have issues with huge lines.
If Tesla wanted to protect the supercharger biz, they would not provide the adapter at all. Or they could (though it would be controversial) allow the use of the adapter only at CCS stations that are more than say 10 miles from any supercharger, or not allow it if there is a suitable supercharger on your route. For example, they could require you to enter a route, where the use of a CCS charger is the best choice for that route and the supercharger would require a detour, and then it would enable use of CCS -- and even do preconditioning.

As I said, the could do this, but people might find this a bit creepy. We still hope Tesla is trying to serve the customer, and the best way to serve the customer is to let them charge anywhere useful for them. Which is what I suspect they are going to do. And since they are making and will release these adapters, I suspect it's what they plan to do. Ever since they raised the price of the superchargers, they seem to have shifted from "we build superchargers to support our cars, so our cars are the best for road trips, and not for a profit" to "we now need to justify the supercharger network with revenues." But that doesn't mean they need to stop serving the customer.

hi, sorry for lame questions, but how were you able to:
1) determine your 2020 has the chips that supports CCS (perhaps, via VIN?); and
2) order the Tesla CCS adapter from South Korea?

(If you used a shipping forward service or whatever, then i already know #2, but it sounds like you ordered it directly, thru your tesla account here in US?)

I have one of the last of the non-yoke Model S.
Sometimes Tesla calls it Long Range Plus, sometimes it is "100D"
Was delivered in Nov 2020, but both Tesla and DMV call it a 2021 Tesla Model S.

I have a work trip to Seoul in October.
Wondering whether I can swing by the Tesla store and purchase it in person...
Has anyone done that yet?

Thanks!

hi, sorry for lame questions, but how were you able to:
1) determine your 2020 has the chips that supports CCS (perhaps, via VIN?); and
geez that was really lame, sorry.
it was super easy to find out:
sit in the car, go to controls->software and then tap the blue typing, "Additional Vehicle Information"

but for the adapter...
anyone bought it in-person from a tesla store in Seoul?
thanks!

That would be interesting to know. I haven't really seen ANYONE from Korea posting here, the downside of having a different alphabet. I do see people posting in German and Norwegian in and there on this board. Wonder where Korean Tesla owners post. I have seen YouTubes in English from there about the CCS adapter, but not where they bought them. Perhaps they just order online like everything these days.