Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New windshield on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my windshield replaced due to a big rock cracking the original. Have to give props to tesla as they took care of me with great service. Gave me a loaner Model S (locked in chill) but it was much smoother than my M3P. Anyway, picked it up last night and noticed on the drive home it looked like there are a bunch of tiny specs or chips in the windshield that only show up with light from certain angles. I thought I’ll look at it during the day and it seems fine until the sun hits just a certain way and it’s like a thousand tiny prisms reflecting light. It feels smooth the to touch and tried washing the window by hand a half dozen times and all that did was give me a REALLY clean windshield. Anyone ever try glass polish for something like this or do you think I should let tesla know about it?

Do you have detailing clay bar or #0000 steel wool? Try in a small spot to see if it helps. I'm guessing there are particles stuck to the glass.

Put your hand in a plastic bag and run your fingertips across the glass. Do you feel bumps? The plastic bag helps feel imperfections.

If it's has something stuck to the windshield, you can use a fresh razor blade held very flat on the surface of the glass to scrap whatever if it is off without damaging the glass.

If it's not something stuck on top of the windshield, they either gave you a windshield with manufacturing defects, or a used windshield.

Last edited:
Do you have detailing clay bar or #0000 steel wool? Try in a small spot to see if it helps. I'm guessing there are particles stuck to the glass.

Put your hand in a plastic bag and run your fingertips across the glass. Do you feel bumps? The plastic bag helps feel imperfections.
Just tried it with the baggie and I think you nailed it! Definitely feel things sticking up so I’ll try a good glass claybar and see how it looks after. Thanks again for the tip!

Reactions: Adam3
If it's has something stuck to the windshield, you can use a fresh razor blade held very flat on the surface of the glass to scrap whatever if it is off without damaging the glass.

If it's not something stuck on top of the windshield, they either gave you a windshield with manufacturing defects, or a used windshield.

I would hope they wouldn’t give a used windshield. I’d think if that got out it would be horrible PR for them. Hopefully once I run a clay bar over it it will be better but will keep you guys posted.

The windshield quality is just really poor. I was caught in a sand storm and had to get my windshield replaced. When I picked up the car from Tesla, the windshield was not as clear as I’ve had on new cars. There was also a visible shape in the middle - perhaps the shape of whatever machine lifts these off the assembly line? Who knows. I took it back to the dealer and they were kind enough to replace it again. The 2nd one was worse than the pitted windshield I brought in! I gave up.

Lately it’s become an issue because I am driving more frequently when the sun is low. The windshield is very difficult to see out of.

Maybe I’ll trade the car in for something better. :)