Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the New York EV rebate is based off MSRP or full purchase price? I know the NJ one is just base MSRP...cap for NY is 60k to get the 2k discount, after that its just 500. Sucks the that performance is 61, and just misses that.

NY is one of the largest states...dont know why tesla is not giving up 1k to make sure customers can get the incentive...they would probably get way more NY orders for performance at least.

Anyone know if the New York EV rebate is based off MSRP or full purchase price? I know the NJ one is just base MSRP...cap for NY is 60k to get the 2k discount, after that its just 500. Sucks the that performance is 61, and just misses that.

NY is one of the largest states...dont know why tesla is not giving up 1k to make sure customers can get the incentive...they would probably get way more NY orders for performance at least.
It is related to the Base price. Any price above the base model is just options/accessories, not a different model.

Here is the official list, and you will see the Model 3 is eligible and we know the Performance is over $60k.

How the Drive Clean Rebate Works - NYSERDA

Reactions: S3XY
FWIW- the $2K NY rebate is applied after the sales tax, you don't get the benefit of lowering your taxable amount by $2K.
On the bright side, it is a point-of-sale rebate though -so you don't have to send in any paperwork, etc.. and wait for a check- it just comes off the price of the car right at the dealership.

The basic price of the MY on the web site is 52,990 (LR AWD). From what it seems to indicate, this is what the NYSERDA rebate is based on. If I add FSD, that doesn't count towards the MSRP?

The NY list does not have the MY on it, I assume that it will get added as soon as they get around to it.

Reactions: S3XY
The basic price of the MY on the web site is 52,990 (LR AWD). From what it seems to indicate, this is what the NYSERDA rebate is based on. If I add FSD, that doesn't count towards the MSRP?

The NY list does not have the MY on it, I assume that it will get added as soon as they get around to it.
The base price should be the cheapest RWD model, like the M3.

FSD is just an option, it’s not a different car model.

Unfortunately my Payment section is incorrect because Tesla is only applying a $500 NY EV credit. I'm trying to get them to correct it but it's nearly impossible to actually speak to someone about it and I'm not going to move my order along until they correct it.:oops:

The Tesla Model Y is not listed on NYSERDA's list of cars. It could be that NYSERDA just needs to update their list. I'm going to email them and see if they can update. I suggest everyone else from NY do the same.

[email protected]

I read the "dealer's" manual and it says that they just need to request the addition to the list. I'm not sure if the consumer can do so. I also read somewhere on the NYSERDA site that if a car isn't on the list they go by the manufacturer's web site for the Base MSRP. Unfortunately I can't find that reference again but I will keep looking.

Last edited:
The Tesla Model Y is not listed on NYSERDA's list of cars. It could be that NYSERDA just needs to update their list. I'm going to email them and see if they can update. I suggest everyone else from NY do the same.

[email protected]

I decided to take your advice and sent an email to NYSERDA. I figure that the worst that could happen is they ignore it plus it only took a couple minutes to do it. Here is what I wrote:

I am writing to ask that you add the Tesla Model Y to your list of cars eligible for the New York Drive Clean Rebate. Sales of the Model Y have begun but it is not on your list to enable the rebate. The Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive model has a Base MSRP of $52,990 and a range of 315 miles. This would qualify for the full $2,000 rebate. You can confirm the Base MSRP on Tesla's website:

Design Your Model Y | Tesla

To get to the Base MSRP you need to add back the cost savings that Tesla lists as referenced by the asterisk next to the pricing. The fine print indicates that this amounts to $6,300. Adding that to the $46,690 Long Range price gets you to the $52,990 figure.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

FYI- I sent an email to them about 2 weeks ago asking specifically if adding FSD to a base price means I can't get a $2k rebate or since its an option that can be taken away (as we've see- rare but true) if it doesn't count. Its been radio silence.

If/When I ever get my delivery info I plan to ask about the $2k rebate; If FSD makes the $2k go down to $500, I'm planing on asking Tesla to remove FSD from the invoice and I'll just pay for it separately (and reduce my down payment a bit). Don't know if they will do that but can't hurt to ask. I mean its a $1500 difference... that's something.

The wording on NYSERDA's site states that the rebate is based on range and the Base MSRP. Adding options does not affect the rebate. If you look at the list of eligible cars the price is listed in a column headed "Base MSRP".

FYI- I sent an email to them about 2 weeks ago asking specifically if adding FSD to a base price means I can't get a $2k rebate or since its an option that can be taken away (as we've see- rare but true) if it doesn't count. Its been radio silence.

If/When I ever get my delivery info I plan to ask about the $2k rebate; If FSD makes the $2k go down to $500, I'm planing on asking Tesla to remove FSD from the invoice and I'll just pay for it separately (and reduce my down payment a bit). Don't know if they will do that but can't hurt to ask. I mean its a $1500 difference... that's something.

Take the FSD off the invoice now, then add it after delivery. They only spend 15 mins with you during delivery and the sales people will prob not have time to help with taking fsd off last minute

Yeah, I'm waiting for my email so I don't get pushed down the line more. I've already been sorta burned once- I wanted the 19" tires so when I preordered I selected the upgrade to 19". Then they upgraded 18"->19" and 19"->20" induction. I didn't want the 20", I wanted the 19" but keeping the 19" wasn't an option. So I went it and edited my design- of course, that meant the discount you got from pre-ordering is POOF- Gone. So yeah, my car is still cheaper than with the 20", but the preorder discount fell away.

So with my luck I remove the FSD and it will go to $10k tomorrow. I'm waiting for the email first- but thanks for the advice.

FSD is an option and is not counted towards the Base MSRP. See my thread over here with all the details on why you should hold off on your delivery unless you are buying a Performance model.

Last edited:
I read the "dealer's" manual and it says that they just need to request the addition to the list. I'm not sure if the consumer can do so. I also read somewhere on the NYSERDA site that if a car isn't on the list they go by the manufacturer's web site for the Base MSRP. Unfortunately I can't find that reference again but I will keep looking.
I found the reference to using the OEM's web site to confirm the Base MSRP. Below is a screen shot of the statement that NYSERDA will use the OEM's web site to confirm the Base MSRP of an EV (see notation 1 on the bottom). I'm also including a link to the PDF that contains this verbiage and to the web page where the PDF can be downloaded from (Implementation Manual). My guess is that Tesla will argue that they can't give the full $2,000 because the Model Y is not listed on the NYSERDA site. Okay, then why are they allowing the $500 rebate? If they allow the $500 rebate then they are accepting that they are selling an EV with 4 wheels and at least a 4 kWh battery (i.e. it is an eligible EV). But it also has an EPA rating of 315 miles which qualifies it for a $2,000 rebate and NYSERDA can confirm that the Base MSRP per Tesla's web site is $52,990 (By the way, the Model Y Performance model is listed on the fueleconomy.gov web site but not the AWD model). So it does not exceed the $60,000 Base MSRP that would reduce the rebate to $500. What am I missing here?

upload_2020-3-2_22-18-0.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Hi all. there was a discussion earlier that one of us was told by their Tesla rep that in NY, NYSERDA is not yet allowing the full $2,000 rebate BECAUSE THE Y IS NOT ON THEIR LIST.

I emailed and left a message at NYSERDA and believe it or not they called back and left a detailed message. one thing is that performance models will only be eligible for $500. The other is that info on the vehicle, including the VIN, has to come from the dealer or manufacturer, not us (we knew that, it's a point of sale rebate)

But the person did say that the standard and long range versions are both eligible for the full $2,000.

personally if i were in NY (which i am) i will not take delivery without that rebate. could even be that's why we haven't heard yet.

OK-- I Called NYSERDA and they gave me ANSWERS about the Model Y! (and they were really nice about it)
Here is the deal.

They can't list the Model Y on the NYSERDA site yet because they need the VIN number ranges for their cars and their 3 model types of Y. They said their system lists 3 types of Model Ys- Standard, LR, and Performance. The system indicates that the Standard and LR will be eligible for $2000 and the Performance will only be eligible for $500. They also indicated that they are ready to allow Tesla dealerships to enter the rebate requests- once they get the VIN number ranges from Tesla.. Everything else they need from Tesla is already in the system.

So it sounds like we need Tesla to just finish the last step- then the Y will be officially on the list as 3 separate models- Std, LR and Performance.

They said they have been flooded with emails regarding the Y but because of the VIN numbers missing they can't do anything- However, if you want to verify what I found out- call them- they were really nice. 866-595-7917 Option 1

OK-- I Called NYSERDA and they gave me ANSWERS about the Model Y! (and they were really nice about it)
Here is the deal.

They can't list the Model Y on the NYSERDA site yet because they need the VIN number ranges for their cars and their 3 model types of Y. They said their system lists 3 types of Model Ys- Standard, LR, and Performance. The system indicates that the Standard and LR will be eligible for $2000 and the Performance will only be eligible for $500. They also indicated that they are ready to allow Tesla dealerships to enter the rebate requests- once they get the VIN number ranges from Tesla.. Everything else they need from Tesla is already in the system.

So it sounds like we need Tesla to just finish the last step- then the Y will be officially on the list as 3 separate models- Std, LR and Performance.

They said they have been flooded with emails regarding the Y but because of the VIN numbers missing they can't do anything- However, if you want to verify what I found out- call them- they were really nice. 866-595-7917 Option 1
Bro... On behalf of all the lazy ass New York buyers... I want to sincerely thank you for doing this. THANKS!