Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbee Post Regarding Model S 70D vs 90 (Orangeville & Shelburne)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved to Orangeville (Hwy 9 & Hwy 10) area. My model S 70D is set to be delivered in April. However, a good friend of mine is moving to Shelburne, ON (Hwy 10 & 89) and he is torn between whether the 90 is a better option for him. Mainly because he believes he’ll lose range in the winter months and might not have enough to make it home. He’s a Realtor and mostly work out of the Brampton area.

I know this question have come up before but wanted to get some feedback regarding his specific location and the winter worry. Should he be concern - especially now since he no longer have a 85 option.

Your thoughts?

We have travelled from North Toronto to Owen Sound a few times in our 85. We always stop at the supercharger in Barrie on the way back for 20 minutes to ensure we arrive home with more than 10% remaining. It adds a little extra distance to the trip (about 10% more km), but makes the trip drama free.

Whereas Shelbourne - Brampton round trip is far closer and easier.
I plugged in the worst possible conditions, namely, -20C and it's about 1/4 of the battery of an 85 to get there.
I would count on 50% range reduction in -20C compared to 10C in the spring. If it's -5C, count on 30% range reduction.

Here's what ev trip planner says for one way trip:

Distance 61.9 km
Driving Time 0:48
Total Energy Used 17.1 kWh
92 RKM
Average Efficiency 276 Wh/km
Net Elevation Change 250 meters

Next, the round trip is well under half a battery, even in -20C.

Distance 124.2 km
Driving Time 1:37
Total Energy Used 31.4 kWh
168 RKM
Average Efficiency 253 Wh/km
Net Elevation Change 0 meters

The 70D would be plenty if all he is worried about for Shelbourne ->Brampton, driving clients around Brampton then -> Shelbourne.
But if it was me, I'd go for the most battery possible. 90D for the win.

I travel from Orangeville (Mono actually) to Mississauga every weekday. I usually add in some side trips to suppliers customers etc. Typically there and back is 120 km/day. I have an 85D. In summer I usually charge up at home every couple of nights, and rarely get below 25% SOC (approx 100KM). In winter, due to cooler temperature, pre-warming the car/battery, and the odd Alberta clipper, screaming down the escarpment, I can use 40-50% of my charge. I generally charge overnight, every weekday.

A 70D shouldn't have an issue. I'd recommend pre-warming while on shore power, and charging daily. Expect to lose at least 30-40% on very cold days - so a 320 km range quickly becomes 240. I suspect 200-240 km a day should get you from Shelburne to Brampton, plus a few stops.

Please read this blog: Cold Weather Driving - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum. It's a good lesson from an old pro in Ottawa.

PS: If you run short, My HPWC is listed on Plugshare. I'm on 5th Line EHS, just north of #9

I travel from Don Mills to Mansfield on weekends in the winter. As I am sure you are aware, range is diminished in cold weather, especially when the temperature drops below minus 10c. The one piece of advice I give anybody considering buying a Model S is get the biggest battery you can afford, before considering any other "bells and whistles". Although the 70D may be adequate for most of your needs, invariably there will be occasions where you need to make an unexpected side trip, or you need to drive a longer distance than expected. Having the larger battery will make the difference between a relaxing drive, and worrying about whether you have enough range.
J. Preiner