Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie FSD Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered a subscription to FSD for $99 for my ‘23 SLR and both the app and car gave notifications that it’s been loaded. However I cannot seem to turn it on. Full Self Driving (beta) is unselect-able in the Autopilot Menu. I see no different between the driving functions I had and have after paying the $99. Sorry for the stupid question, maybe I don’t understand the benefit. I thought I’d finally be able to take my hand off the wheel and the car would auto change lanes etc…

You may have an incompatible version of software. I’m assuming you have HW4, the window to get 11.4.x (which works on your car) has passed and all current releases up until this message include 11.3.6 which does not work with your vehicle. no one really knows the play here, we used to ignore updates until the base branch caught up, but that seems unlikely at this point, the more likely solution is that a HW4 compatible branch merge is coming though no one knows when.

Reactions: E90alex
You may have an incompatible version of software. I’m assuming you have HW4, the window to get 11.4.x (which works on your car) has passed and all current releases up until this message include 11.3.6 which does not work with your vehicle. no one really knows the play here, we used to ignore updates until the base branch caught up, but that seems unlikely at this point, the more likely solution is that a HW4 compatible branch merge is coming though no one knows when.
I do have HW4.

So let me see if I understand this.

I dropped $100k in early June for this car, set it up for auto software upgrades on the second day of ownership (been through several) but now have a car without the ability to go FSD like many older cars do, until sometime in the future when they choose to allow me an upgrade.

Meanwhile no mention by Tesla at the time I pressed subscribe, yet they’re happy to take my $99 anyway knowing full well my software version etc... Sure glad I didn’t take that offer to buy FSD in the showroom for an added $9k - I feel stupid enough already

Do I have that right? Gotta love Tesla…

I do have HW4.

So let me see if I understand this.

I dropped $100k in early June for this car, set it up for auto software upgrades on the second day of ownership (been through several) but now have a car without the ability to go FSD like many older cars do, until sometime in the future when they choose to allow me an upgrade.

Meanwhile no mention by Tesla at the time I pressed subscribe, yet they’re happy to take my $99 anyway knowing full well my software version etc... Sure glad I didn’t take that offer to buy FSD in the showroom for an added $9k - I feel stupid enough already

Do I have that right? Gotta love Tesla…
You still get access to additional features with FSD Capability, but FSD Beta isn't available to buy or subscribe to on its own. It's how Tesla protects themselves.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’ll have to look and see what my $99 actually bought me. so far, doesn’t seem like anything useful or worth paying for.
Here’s what you need to be cognizant of, if the version does catch up to you that works with your car and you’re not subscribed to full self driving, you’ll end up getting whatever version is on the main stream branch (Provided that they still run two or more branches) traditionally these main stream branches have been numerically ahead of the branches that contain full self driving and If you aren't subscribed, you won’t have the software flag to get the FSD version and get the mainstream version, and enter an endless cycle of never getting FSDb, and if you decide you want it, you’ll have to subscribe and ignore updates until you finally get it some unknown time later. One would hope that someday FSDb is included with every update, but currently it is not, and going back through these threads, there’s only a few chances a year (holiday update is one) when you can hop on. Maybe this year they’ll be a chance when highland ships, hopefully this multi-branch craziness stops, but if it doesn’t, you’ll need to have an active subscription to have the chance to download it.

Reactions: SMLBound
Here’s what you need to be cognizant of, if the version does catch up to you that works with your car and you’re not subscribed to full self driving, you’ll end up getting whatever version is on the main stream branch (Provided that they still run two or more branches) traditionally these main stream branches have been numerically ahead of the branches that contain full self driving and If you aren't subscribed, you won’t have the software flag to get the FSD version and get the mainstream version, and enter an endless cycle of never getting FSDb, and if you decide you want it, you’ll have to subscribe and ignore updates until you finally get it some unknown time later. One would hope that someday FSDb is included with every update, but currently it is not, and going back through these threads, there’s only a few chances a year (holiday update is one) when you can hop on. Maybe this year they’ll be a chance when highland ships, hopefully this multi-branch craziness stops, but if it doesn’t, you’ll need to have an active subscription to have the chance to download it.
That’s a great explanation, I’m new to any cars having OTA updates - all of this is very new to me. More complicated than I thought. Wow! Thanks again.

Reactions: fasteddie7
That’s a great explanation, I’m new to any cars having OTA updates - all of this is very new to me. More complicated than I thought. Wow! Thanks again.
Tesla software updates are simultaneously awesomely simple and mind-bogglingly complex, which is a feat in itself. Still, Having driven a lot of vehicles, I believe that no one does software and updates better and more seamlessly than Tesla.