Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I am getting a quote from him. Our FM informed us that they will have a Chargepoint Charger up and ready within 2 to 3 weeks. The cost is 50cents and hour and it will be 6.6Kw.
They also said that it will l use a J-1772 connector.. Can i charge the model 3 with it? If yes then, how much range can i expect to add in 1 hour of charging in summer and how much range can i expect to add in 1 hour of charging in peak winter?

6.6kW at 50c/h is a good rate. Most L2 chargers are 30A unless stated otherwise, so at 6.6kW/30A = 220VAC. Sounds about right; at 6.6kW x 0.95 efficiency equals about 36-39km/hour depending on voltage/amperage drops. More than enough to top up overnight in all conditions (slightly less in winter as pack uses some for heating/conditioning).

My Model 3 UMC came with an J-1772 adapter. Unsure if the newest SR+ have it included; I feel like it should, $127CAD for a common public charging standard seems a little steep.

Model 3

I am also reading that there are different types of adapters i.e. CHAdeMO, CCS/SAE adapters. Can i use any of these to charge my Tesla?

You can use the J-17772 on day one. It's a common connector and your Model 3 will come with an adaptor. You can get a CHAdeMo adapter.. Model 3 support for them is relatively new (within the last month or so) and requires a recent software version. People seems to be having problems with some CHAdeMo installations / adapters. I assume that will get better.

CCS is not supported.

IMHO, you will be much happier with a 14-50 of your own than a 6.6kwh public connector at 0.50/h. I don't have the recharge rate for 6.6kwh but I am almost certain it's slower than a 14-50.

IMHO, you will be much happier with a 14-50 of your own than a 6.6kwh public connector at 0.50/h. I don't have the recharge rate for 6.6kwh but I am almost certain it's slower than a 14-50.

Yes, having your own plug will be more convenient in the event the ChargePoint station is occupied. 50c/h is a very good rate considering after delivery/fees/etc. Overnight cost per kW = ~0.11c; which is more than 50c/h at 6.6kW.

Is this ChargePoint station public or private? What is a "FM"?

Reactions: Chetanh
So off peak rates of our hydro utility is 6.7c/kwh and mid peak is 9.6c/kwh. If i am charging at 6.6Kwh ( i know i will be doing at 7.7 but lets assume 6.6 for cost comparison) then my cost to charge at home for an hour is around 43cents and mid peak is 51cents.

So not much of a difference. I will probably charge faster at home.
Are my calculations wrong?

FM is facilities management. Its a public charger but you have to pay for parking to get into the garage. I am hoping to snag a 120V plug somewhere..

Last edited:
Another dumb question. How do you actually charge the car? I mean the electrician will install the 14-50 receptacle on the wall.
Does tesla supply the wire that connects to the car and the adapter plugs in the receptacle? or do i have to buy the wire with the 14-50 plug. If that is the case then what does the other end of the wire look like?
How does this work if i happen to find a 120V plug? or J-17772 or CHAdeMO
Sorry for asking so many questions, just trying to understand this.

Another dumb question. How do you actually charge the car? I mean the electrician will install the 14-50 receptacle on the wall.
Does tesla supply the wire that connects to the car and the adapter plugs in the receptacle? or do i have to buy the wire with the 14-50 plug. If that is the case then what does the other end of the wire look like?
How does this work if i happen to find a 120V plug? or J-17772 or CHAdeMO
Sorry for asking so many questions, just trying to understand this.

The car comes with:
a Tesla charging cord that takes a variety of dongles for different plugs and then plugs into a Tesla.
a 3 prong dongle for the above charging cord. You can plug into 110v on day one

a stubby J-17772 adapter for plugging a J-17772 charging plug directly into your Tesla.

For 14-50 you will need the 14-50 Dongle from Tesla (~$35). Check with the Service Center (and Sales Center) to see if they have any in stock. It will plug into the Tesla charging cord.

For the CHAdeMo adapter it's on Tesla's website. IIRC, it's not cheap.

Reactions: Chetanh
Thanks, regarding the enrgy calculation, am i dong this correctly?

Off peak rates of our hydro utility is 6.7c/kwh and mid peak is 9.6c/kwh. If i am charging at 6.6Kwh ( i know i will be doing at 7.7 but lets assume 6.6 for cost comparison) then my cost to charge at home for an hour is around 43cents and mid peak is 51cents.

So not much of a difference and i should probably plug it in during winter months to get over range anxiety.

Thanks, regarding the enrgy calculation, am i dong this correctly?

Off peak rates of our hydro utility is 6.7c/kwh and mid peak is 9.6c/kwh. If i am charging at 6.6Kwh ( i know i will be doing at 7.7 but lets assume 6.6 for cost comparison) then my cost to charge at home for an hour is around 43cents and mid peak is 51cents.

So not much of a difference and i should probably plug it in during winter months to get over range anxiety.

I guess you are right. 220v x 30A = 6600W --> an hour --> 6.6kWh @ 6.7c/h = 44c/h. Keep in mind that the battery in SR+ is about 50kWh, so charge from 0 to 100 is about 50kWh/6.6kW = 7.6 hours. Considering you will have a 6.6kW charging available at work, you should be totally fine.

So i guess i can continue to charge at 80% in Winters or drive with heating set at 22C and drive at 140kmph without any range anxiety when its -40 outside.

Unless the roads are blocked by a bunch of summer tire club members, you should be fine. Can always find a free charger on Plugshare and go for a tea/coffee/movie and wait it out.

So off peak rates of our hydro utility is 6.7c/kwh and mid peak is 9.6c/kwh. If i am charging at 6.6Kwh ( i know i will be doing at 7.7 but lets assume 6.6 for cost comparison) then my cost to charge at home for an hour is around 43cents and mid peak is 51cents.

So not much of a difference. I will probably charge faster at home.
Are my calculations wrong?

FM is facilities management. Its a public charger but you have to pay for parking to get into the garage. I am hoping to snag a 120V plug somewhere..

If it doesn't cost anything to access the garage and only cost money to charge; that's a great deal. Remember there are delivery fees on top of per kWh costs associated with low/mid/high peak usages; that's how it is in Ontario. If its different in BC, ignore this sentence :).

Factor in delivery + cost per kWh, the charger you have at work is more cost effective (if it's available). Also plugging in at work will dispel all range anxiety issues faced in winter months and keep the battery healthier.

Yes, i think the cost will be a wash. I am in Ontario so all the fees apply to me. Also, I have to pay for parking anyway and am paying for it now, so there is no extra cost. Once concern i have is that, there was a tweet from Elon Musk which said:

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

Given this fact, if i charge the vehicle once a day from say 15% to 80%, for 300 days a year then is the batter pack designed to last only 1500/300=5 years?

If that is the case then should i aviold charging twice a day and charge only at work and/or home and only charge twice a day when i really need it (peak winter when its v cold outside).

Thanks,

Yes, i think the cost will be a wash. I am in Ontario so all the fees apply to me. Also, I have to pay for parking anyway and am paying for it now, so there is no extra cost. Once concern i have is that, there was a tweet from Elon Musk which said:

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

Given this fact, if i charge the vehicle once a day from say 15% to 80%, for 300 days a year then is the batter pack designed to last only 1500/300=5 years?

If that is the case then should i aviold charging twice a day and charge only at work and/or home and only charge twice a day when i really need it (peak winter when its v cold outside).

Thanks,

"Cycle" refers to a full discharge i.e. 100% to 0%. Charging from 30% to 80% twice is only one "cycle", but the shorter percentage variance is nicer on the battery.

1500 cycles / 800,000 km (500k mi) is about 536km/cycle, which aligns with the LR RWD option. 1500 cycles / 482,000km (300k mi) is about 321km/cycle, which is about what the SR+ is for range. I'm unsure where these numbers come from, but let's say after this 300k miles the pack isn't "dead", it's just degraded to perhaps 70% useful range.

For these same numbers, an SR+ would have to be driven 96,000km every year to only last 5 years, which is 3 times your expected usage.