Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Optimal SOC cycling is from 20-80%. There's some chart floating around about the behavior of Li-Ion batteries at various SoC. I wouldn't lose too much sleep. Just don't charge to 100% every day and you'll be fine.

80% summer and 90% winter and you should be okay. I've been charging to whenever I can 90% as I don't get to charge everyday during the summer. Here's the battery report after 35,000 kms.

Charging to 90% = 448kms for the last little while.

upload_2019-8-1_12-15-15.png

upload_2019-8-1_12-15-34.png

upload_2019-8-1_12-16-14.png

There is a recommendation to charge only whwn it gets low to around 20%. So if i reach work and battery has 40% the recommendation is to not charge it and follow 20-80cyxle which is confusing

It's fine to charge at 40%, plug in whenever you can so the onboard systems run off the electrical grid (even if not charging). It will extend battery life as it reduces battery cycling (aka discharge from high to low; recharging from low to high again = 1full cycle 1-100%)

Best practices for Model 3 battery charging

There is a recommendation to charge only whwn it gets low to around 20%. So if i reach work and battery has 40% the recommendation is to not charge it and follow 20-80cyxle which is confusing
There is no such recommendation. Tesla recommends the opposite- plug in when you can, and specifically says to NOT wait until the battery is low before charging. It’s in the owners manual, which is available online.

Here's the numbers for the past winter with Sentry Mode and generous heating. Sentry mode will drain 30kms (10+ hours) a day if lots of triggers. Shutting it off at work is a good idea if you have a private parking lot/space.

View attachment 436602

I think you are doing very well in winter! I'm assuming you are charging every day at home? Reason I'm asking is because I'm not charging every day for now to test out the capacity of the battery. I only charge every 3-4 days as my daily range is only 20-40 km. My wall-to-wheel efficiency was terrible at only 63% even in this beautiful weather. I believe the wall-to-wheel efficiency can be greatly improved by charging every day.

I think you are doing very well in winter! I'm assuming you are charging every day at home? Reason I'm asking is because I'm not charging every day for now to test out the capacity of the battery. I only charge every 3-4 days as my daily range is only 20-40 km. My wall-to-wheel efficiency was terrible at only 63% even in this beautiful weather. I believe the wall-to-wheel efficiency can be greatly improved by charging every day.

Efficiency is more about the length of the trip. The motor/battery pack takes some conditioning at the start. So many small trips = higher Wh/km (mi). See below, the extreme short 1km trips recorded averaged near 50%. While longer 50km+ commutes paint a more stable picture of rated usage.

Looks like the sweet spot is 15 to 20C. My Wall to Wheel is ~73%.

upload_2019-8-1_16-28-37.png

upload_2019-8-1_16-29-2.png

Last edited:
Just visited the dealer in yorkdale.. they are offering me 3k for a car going for 9k on autotrader by dealer and 7.5k private..
Ridiculous..
The sales guy was so pressury it was ridiculous.

I remember how guys at Honda and Acura were proudly offering me $6,000 for my Civic and the same models were selling for about $13-14000 at their lots :cool:

The sale rep at Tesla said that they always encourage people to sell their vehicles privately.

So ordered one yesterday. Filled out the credit application today. Estimated delivery is Aug 30th.
The trade in was better for the Camry. They offered 1500 and the market was around 3000. Waa due brakes, windsheild and a few other things so not bad.

Getting quotes for the 40A NEMA 14-50R outlet. The one i have so far ia 850. He said 100A panel should be good, no need to upgrade

So ordered one yesterday. Filled out the credit application today. Estimated delivery is Aug 30th.
The trade in was better for the Camry. They offered 1500 and the market was around 3000. Waa due brakes, windsheild and a few other things so not bad.

Getting quotes for the 40A NEMA 14-50R outlet. The one i have so far ia 850. He said 100A panel should be good, no need to upgrade

Give Graham at BracerEV a shout. He may be able to find you an installer for less EV Car Charger Stations, We Sell & Install Electric Vehicle Chargers - Bracer EV

Thanks, I am getting a quote from him. Our FM informed us that they will have a Chargepoint Charger up and ready within 2 to 3 weeks. The cost is 50cents and hour and it will be 6.6Kw.
They also said that it will l use a J-1772 connector.. Can i charge the model 3 with it? If yes then, how much range can i expect to add in 1 hour of charging in summer and how much range can i expect to add in 1 hour of charging in peak winter?