Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie simple question about infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The single most misunderstood aspect of driving an electric car, especially a Tesla, is the time spent on charging. It is very difficult to make someone who has not owned an EV understand that charging is really a non-issue.

For short-range BEVs like the Leaf, you simply don't take it for long distance drives. Period. For daily driving you always start with a full charge anyway. Public charging should not even be in your planning at all. Charge at home, charge at office (if you have one) and thats it. You would love your Leaf.

For a Tesla, it goes without saying that for daily driving and commutes, there is no need to do any public charging and you always start with 200+ miles range every day morning. For long distance driving, Superchargers make it a non-issue. After driving 250 miles for 4 hours non-stop, taking a 45 minute break at a Super charger is a non-issue. There is a good chance you will end up spending that much time on bio and food breaks anyway. Most of the time the car will be full (or nearly full) even before you are ready to drive the next leg.

I found out that this is one issue, that how ever hard you try to explain, it is very difficult to grasp this unless you own a Tesla and experience it for yourself a few times.

Just sort of curious, since some of the interstates in Texas are "fast" (common speed 85mph), what kind of range do you see as those speeds?

(I've driven through Texas many times, and never went slower than 75mph.)

Just sort of curious, since some of the interstates in Texas are "fast" (common speed 85mph), what kind of range do you see as those speeds?

(I've driven through Texas many times, and never went slower than 75mph.)

The worst that I have seen driving 80+ mph into a serious headwind was 1.5 rated miles per actual mile. That meant 200 rated miles out of the car between two Superchargers spaced 133 miles apart. That was one of the few times where slowing down between Superchargers actually reduced total travel time because of going deep into the taper during a Supercharge session. In that same windy, fast stretch, 100 miles between Superchargers kept the pace up.