Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest video from Bjorn re Heat Pump/Octovalve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny. The latest tech in HVAC systems is heat pump with 4 way valves and I use them all the time. Somewhat laborious to explain in detail but suffice it to say the octovalve is just two 4-way valves on one heat pump using one coolant source. One 4-way valve services heating and /or cooling of the cockpit, and the second the battery pack, depending on how the valves are routing the fluid. They either dump heat into the cooler side or drawing heat from the warmer side, thus enabling it to heat one component and cool another at the same time with only one pump. It’s not miraculous, just a hybrid of something that’s been around for a while applied o a car.

I’m not bashing Tesla; it’s brilliant. What I’m really seeing is that it also ties into Musk’s musings about going into home HVAC. If he could introduce something like this and bring your home’s climate in alignment with your car, solar roof, power walls, etc...WOW! Fun stuff!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Funny. The latest tech in HVAC systems is heat pump with 4 way valves and I use them all the time. Somewhat laborious to explain in detail but suffice it to say the octovalve is just two 4-way valves on one heat pump using one coolant source. One 4-way valve services heating and /or cooling of the cockpit, and the second the battery pack, depending on how the valves are routing the fluid. They either dump heat into the cooler side or drawing heat from the warmer side, thus enabling it to heat one component and cool another at the same time with only one pump. It’s not miraculous, just a hybrid of something that’s been around for a while applied o a car.

I’m not bashing Tesla; it’s brilliant. What I’m really seeing is that it also ties into Musk’s musings about going into home HVAC. If he could introduce something like this and bring your home’s climate in alignment with your car, solar roof, power walls, etc...WOW! Fun stuff!

Exactly, the system isn't "rocket science." The system just connects a lot of different sources together into one system. The cabin, the battery pack, the inverter, the radiator, compressor, chiller, etc. Instead of one "system" that just pushes heat in one direction sequentially through all those points, or reserve and push heat the other direction, this system can isolate and direct heat to specific items while isolating others and leaving them untouched, or harvest heat from some and direct to others. It's a lot of engineering and again probably way more software than you would expect for a hardware system, but that's what powers the magic of being able to keep all those systems in balance and harvest waste heat from them when possible.

However, dead cold with the car off over night, it's still going to require the same kind of energy as a non-heat pump system. Thankfully I've been impressed with how quickly it heats the cabin when high demand is called, the compressor must be pretty large compared to the size of the system. BUT, I don't notice any energy savings compared to my 2019 Model 3 in the same conditions (this is obvious, I didn't expect energy savings because the entire system is cold and heat has to be generated, not just moved from one place to another).

COVID is keeping me from any long winter trips this year, so I doubt I'll personally be able to see how the system does on a 100+ mile highway trip when the battery is warm and the cabin is warm and everything is working at a constant load...