Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest wall charger questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the wall charger is electrified and you hook it up to the internet what happens next. There is no program to control it or to check on updates. It no longer shows up in my WiFi settings after it is set up. Is there anything else to do? How is it interacting with the internet for updates?
Can anyone give me some insight?

MariaC

There's really no operational control of the WC directly after you commission it and set the device' maximum amperage...you did configure it to match your breaker, right?

After commissioning, charge control such as scheduling, maximum current, etc are controlled from the car when you plug it in. The WC won't stay on your Wifi network; it will occasionally connect to check for updates, and download them automatically. If it can't connect to your Wifi for any reason (you need a 2.5GHz signal - check your base station to make sure you're not set to 5GHz only) You can also manually push the latest firmware file to it by connecting to its own SSID using the instructions here.

I have similar questions about my WC. What kind of software upgrades does it get. I mean it’s just basically a cable. Unless it’s reporting charging info back to Elon, which it already can do from the car.
The Gen3 Wall Connector is controlled by firmware. Tesla periodically updates the firmware. Advanced features now or in the future include automatic load balancing (up to 6 Gen3 Wall Connectors); direct billing (for commercial/multi-unit residential applications), restricting charging to specific Tesla vehicles (by VIN.)

I have similar questions about my WC. What kind of software upgrades does it get. I mean it’s just basically a cable. Unless it’s reporting charging info back to Elon, which it already can do from the car.

Since its launch, they added power sharing to the Gen 3 wall connector( it didnt ship with it). I believe they have also added the ability to prevent charging to all but a few designated tesla vehicles.

No idea what they might do in the future as far as features for the Gen 3 via firmware updates.

After the wall charger is electrified and you hook it up to the internet what happens next. There is no program to control it or to check on updates. It no longer shows up in my WiFi settings after it is set up. Is there anything else to do? How is it interacting with the internet for updates?
Can anyone give me some insight?

MariaC
press and hold charger button to put it in commissioning mode. Then you can log on and check firmware version.

Beyond that - nothing else to do. Mine took a couple of days to update to the newest firmware.