Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you change the weight of the car, you change all of the rest of the dynamics of the car as well. Springs, shocks, camber, sway bars, etc. You would have to make all of those adjustable also to maximize the benefit of the decreased weight.

Thanks! But in 2018 I would imagine that we'll have the innovation we need to have a pack that can just do one lap with significantly lower weight.

Obviously this is taken from a photo of the Volvo Concept Coupe (P1800: LINK).. which I think looks absolutely gorgeous. What do you think? My PS skills are lacking, but what do you all think about the Model S front clip carrying over to the Roadster? People may not be completely enamored with the nosecone, but I believe it will still be there even after an evolution of the design, i just can't visualize it :)

TMSVolvo.png

I like it better than the Volvo front, but I doubt we'll see that nosecone on the Roadster, or the G3/E. There have been references to it as a styling holdover from ICE vehicles to make people more comfortable with the transition, and I take that to mean future designs will be more radical, and hopefully won't rely on useless vestiges of past technology.

Obviously this is taken from a photo of the Volvo Concept Coupe (P1800: LINK).. which I think looks absolutely gorgeous. What do you think? My PS skills are lacking, but what do you all think about the Model S front clip carrying over to the Roadster? People may not be completely enamored with the nosecone, but I believe it will still be there even after an evolution of the design, i just can't visualize it :)

View attachment 29444
That's a nice render of a Model S or GenIII based Coupe!
I too think future nose cones will keep family resemblance, but are likely to evolve from current MS design.
Regards

View attachment 29444

Man I can see that on the showroom floor. And selling like hotcakes.

The problem with the transmission when they tried it with the Roadster was that they were not using a torque converter or clutch. They were hoping that with the reduced inertia of the electric motor compared to a gas engine they could get away with it. Perhaps if it was a 6 speed transmission they would have gotten enough transmission life. With a 2 speed the difference between gear ratios was too large and the syncros wore out in a few thousand miles of constant shifting. The shift point was at 60 mph so you would shift everytime you got on the freeway. If they had moved the shift point up to 90 where you would rarely if ever use it then they could have gotten away with it. The disadvantages of a transmission is more weight and greater losses, especially with a torque converter. Tesla instead decided to reduce the top speed slightly and go with a larger gear ratio and also increase the current limit of the motor drive which allowed the same 4.0 second 0-60. For drivers on public roads in the US the single speed transmission is the right choice. I guess there would be some bragging rights to being able to go 200 mph but going over even 100 will cause you to loose you license so there is no point to it. A fast 0-60 is something you can actually use. A multispeed transmission would not help the 0-60 because the car is traction limited not torque or power limited. The 3.7 0-60 time of the sport model is achieved with softer tires which provide more bite but wear out even faster then the regular tires.

View attachment 29444

Seriously dude this looks ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. Great job!

Agreed, nice work! I would expect the front to be a bit more aggressive (pointy, lowered stance). The front wheel well might only be about 2" above the hood as opposed to 8" as shown. I think the car will look like it is even closer to the ground and squished while shrinking the cabin in favor of high speed aero to push it to the ground and hide from the friction. Possibly more air flow around the brake rotors pumped through the nose so those air dams should be increased as well as intake at the rear wheels. Lights will probably be shrunk in favor of lazer, maybe LED, and wrapped up instead of to the side for greater aero as the stance is shortened. Maybe move the A-pillars forward a bit as well to even create a more fast moving picture ;)

View attachment 29444

Excellent work Ufrugger! As other have said it feels much more like the Genlll concepts we have been doing. The Next Gen Roadster will likely be a cross between a 911 (backseat) and a McLaren (performance and handling (Elon's favorite) so much more low and sleek.

Please post your image in the two door styling thread! http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...lueStar-quot-2-door-coupe-styling-ideas/page2

Regarding the GT-R, I posted this sometime ago on another thread:

Yeah, and the Nissan GTR is a bargain compared to a lot of other more expensive (and slower) cars too. I don't subscribe to the "more expensive means faster/better" paradigm.

Funny but true story (as told to me by someone in the know): my ex-CEO (when I was at Oracle) went to test drive a Ferrari California to add to his large fleet of exotics. After the test drive, the Ferrari salesman asked LJE which of his cars was his favorite and the answer was... the Nissan GT-R! The salesman goes "yeah, I know; thank goodness Nissan doesn't have a clue about marketing that one!"

Next gen Roadster - Page 36