Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm in the camp hoping for actual roadster.
I'm hoping the following:
  1. the "next-gen Roadster" is a "legitimate Roadster" according to all automotive authorities and at least most enthusiasts
  2. they offer a Sport/Perf variation of said roadster
  3. if "next-gen Roadster" isn't on "Gen3" chassis, that Gen3 has a good "mid-life crisis" 2+2 convertible offering

Seems a waste to split their energy between the two though.

I could see that as well. Guess it depends on what the company looks like at the time they address these needs. If a 2+2 will sell more and keep most Roadster buyers happy then maybe sticking with one car is best. If they feel they need a true halo/ Buggati fighter car then maybe adding a low volume Roadster would be worth it. My guess is a 2+2 only.

Not if they are significantly different vehicles, serving different markets.

For example, I thought there was talk of a "small SUV" on the Gen3 platform. Isn't that "redundant" relative to Model X? Kind of but not really. Same applies to the two cases dsm noted.

I think so if they are low volume. If Tesla is planning to sell 10-15k of each sports car per year sure, but if they only plan to sell 5k, then spending that money developing both and having one cannibalize the sales of the other just doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm imagining they plan to sell about 15-20k Model X per year and who knows when it comes to the lower priced Gen III SUV

Given the 'new' flat battery pack in the floor arrangement, doesn't that govern the minimum size of the car? And, if you've got that minimum size, then surely you would use it for the cabin... They could create an L shaped pack, but that would raise the centre of gravity.

Given the 'new' flat battery pack in the floor arrangement, doesn't that govern the minimum size of the car? And, if you've got that minimum size, then surely you would use it for the cabin... They could create an L shaped pack, but that would raise the centre of gravity.

Agreed, the GenII (model S and X) battery pack implies that a new Roadster would be based on the GenIII platform.

I think if tesla make a really good next GM roadster, visually appealing and great specs. Something that people look at and say I want one of those. Even if it's out of people's price range it can help sell the tesla gen3 car. Because people will relate the two of them.

I think that overall we might see two "successors" to the roadster rather than one. We know that a while back Elon was intent on making a 2+2 similar to the Porsche 911 but with more space, but I don't think it will end there.

What I'd like to see is two distinct models in the same vein as American muscle cars ala GM. So we would have a less expensive 2+2 Muscle/Gt car roughly bases on the Gen III platform, and a true supercar and spiritual successor to the roadster that competes in a higher price bracket. This car would probably be based on it's own platform and make extensive use of carbon fiber to save weight, this is especially true considering Tesla hired one of the main engineers responsible for the exotic Aston Martin One-77 concept which has a pushrod suspension system. I think a 3 seat layout in the save vein as the Mclaren F1 could be a possibility.

I would also expect both vehicles to have much more angular and aggressive styling than other models, with the 2+2 being similar to many American muscle cars. The true supercar However, would be at least a bit more refined, I see something more similar to the Jaguar CX-75.

Of course both of these would benefit from all of the advances in battery technology that would come from the Gen III platform and beyond, which should prove to be very significant.

For the Muscle/Gt Car

Release Date: 2018~2019
Price: ~$62,000 (Competes Roughly with the Camaro ZR-1)
Battery: ~90kWH
Power Train: Dual Motor Awd (~630 Hp)
Curb Weight: 3,537 lbs (Smaller than model S + increases in energy density)
Acceleration: 0-60 in 2.7 Seconds
Top Speed: 186 Mph(Electronically limited)
2+2 Layout with significant rear room, and Electric falcon doors for easy access.

For the Supercar

Release Date: 2019~2020
Price: ~$105,000 (competes with Nissan Gt-R/Porsche 911 Turbo/Corvette ZL-1 or Z06)
Battery: ~90kWh
Power Train: Dual Motor Awd (~710 Hp)
Curb Weight: 2,645 lbs (extensive use of carbon fiber)
Acceleration: 0-60 in 2.3 Seconds
Top Speed: 205 Mph
1+2 layout: Three seat ala Mclaren F1, with manual falcon doors for easy access and weight saving.

I think that both of these could act as halo cars and really increase the value of the Brand.

For the Supercar

Release Date: 2019~2020
Price: ~$105,000 (competes with Nissan Gt-R/Porsche 911 Turbo/Corvette ZL-1 or Z06)
Battery: ~90kWh
Power Train: Dual Motor Awd (~710 Hp)
Curb Weight: 2,645 lbs (extensive use of carbon fiber)
Acceleration: 0-60 in 2.3 Seconds
Top Speed: 205 Mph
1+2 layout: Three seat ala Mclaren F1, with manual falcon doors for easy access and weight saving.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. At that power range you'd be looking at 0-60 in the 1.x second range and that curb weight is on par with a late 90's Honda Civic. Even at a more realistic curb weight of 4000lbs, it'd have to bring a lot more power than that (1500hp would be a good start) if it wants to compete with the UGR Lamborghinis and GTRs.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. At that power range you'd be looking at 0-60 in the 1.x second range and that curb weight is on par with a late 90's Honda Civic. Even at a more realistic curb weight of 4000lbs, it'd have to bring a lot more power than that (1500hp would be a good start) if it wants to compete with the UGR Lamborghinis and GTRs.

Not quite actually. That horsepower per tone rating put's the car at approximately 600 which is in the same range as the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari LaFerrari etc. Now of course due to the fact that the car will be all electric it would have a much higher torque at zero RPM which would cause a faster 0-60 time than those other vehicles. This is why I put the 0-60 time in the low to mid 2 sec. I can see how you could make an argument that such specifications would get you in the low 2s possibly 1.x sec range. However, I see relatively little evidence for that assertion as cars with much higher hp tp weight ratios only make it to around 2.3 secs or so (i.e. the ariel atom v8 among others).

As for the weight I think you either fail to realize the rate at which battery energy density is increasing, or haven't really thought it through. This curb weight represents approximately the same weight as the roadster. Who's main weight issue was the battery. Even with current Model S technology and soon to be release technology, i.e. panasonic 4.0 amp hour cells the requisite increase in energy and power density need in order to allow the car to have that much power in more or less the same weight envelope are almost here. I therefore find it puzzling that you would think that it would be an impossibility for the technology to progress far enough in 5-6 years to allow for such a vehicle. Though I will admit that I have not yet done a back of the envelope calculation to show that such a thing would be reasonable. Perhaps, I'll do one later and post what I find.

I'm hoping for graphene by 2019 but it is not looking hopeful for large enough quantities in a mechanical application.

It is astounding how stiff it is at a TeraPacal. Much higher than carbon fiber and much lighter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene#Mechanical

As of 2009, graphene appeared to be one of the strongest materials known with a breaking strength over 100 times greater than a hypothetical steel film of the same (thin) thickness,[SUP][92][/SUP] with a Young's modulus (stiffness) of 1 TPa (150000000 psi).[SUP][93][/SUP] The Nobel announcement illustrated this by saying that a 1 square meter graphene hammock would support a 4 kg cat but would weigh only as much as one of the cat's whiskers, at 0.77 mg (about 0.001% of the weight of 1 m[SUP]2[/SUP] of paper).[SUP][92[/SUP]

As the production of Carbon fiber includes petroleum I wonder if TM might not use it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_(fiber)#Synthesis

I'm hoping for graphene by 2019 but it is not looking hopeful for large enough quantities in a mechanical application.

It is astounding how stiff it is at a TeraPacal. Much higher than carbon fiber and much lighter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene#Mechanical

Yeah, it's extremely unlikely that well see any of these nano-patterned structures like graphene, carbon nanotubes, etc used for macro-scale construction materials any time soon. However, there may be some potential for using graphene/CNTs for Anode materials in the battery to improve energy density. However, at this point it looks like silicon based anodes are the way to go, at least for the near future.

Yeah, it's extremely unlikely that well see any of these nano-patterned structures like graphene, carbon nanotubes, etc used for macro-scale construction materials any time soon. However, there may be some potential for using graphene/CNTs for Anode materials in the battery to improve energy density. However, at this point it looks like silicon based anodes are the way to go, at least for the near future.

you might onto something! http://www.targray.com/li-ion-battery/

Not quite actually. That horsepower per tone rating put's the car at approximately 600 which is in the same range as the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari LaFerrari etc. Now of course due to the fact that the car will be all electric it would have a much higher torque at zero RPM which would cause a faster 0-60 time than those other vehicles. This is why I put the 0-60 time in the low to mid 2 sec. I can see how you could make an argument that such specifications would get you in the low 2s possibly 1.x sec range. However, I see relatively little evidence for that assertion as cars with much higher hp tp weight ratios only make it to around 2.3 secs or so (i.e. the ariel atom v8 among others).

As for the weight I think you either fail to realize the rate at which battery energy density is increasing, or haven't really thought it through. This curb weight represents approximately the same weight as the roadster. Who's main weight issue was the battery. Even with current Model S technology and soon to be release technology, i.e. panasonic 4.0 amp hour cells the requisite increase in energy and power density need in order to allow the car to have that much power in more or less the same weight envelope are almost here. I therefore find it puzzling that you would think that it would be an impossibility for the technology to progress far enough in 5-6 years to allow for such a vehicle. Though I will admit that I have not yet done a back of the envelope calculation to show that such a thing would be reasonable. Perhaps, I'll do one later and post what I find.
Yeah, like I said. It's not going to happen. AWD with 700+HP weighing roughly the same as a 90's era Civic... it'd be nice to see, and might technically be possible now (if you don't care about range), but who in their right mind would green-light something like that?