Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, I'd wait.

But that's not what AmpedRealtor wrote. If that's what he meant to say, that's fine, but it's not what he said. What he said was:

And I am saying yes, I can tell you that I would be one such new car buyer, as I just don't like the Model X.

I'm going to chime in here... I just ordered a new Model S. I don't want a Model X, so even if the Model X had already been revealed and was possible to order with the same delivery date as a Model S, and nothing had changed on the Model S, I would still have ordered the Model S. Sure, if I knew for a fact that within a few months there would be major improvements coming to the Model S (such as area view, more advanced headlights, etc) I would have waited with my order. But I just don't think that is very likely, and so I saw no reason to wait.

So yes, if Tesla doesn't incorporate any newer elements from the Model X into the Model S, I would still prefer the Model S.

I believe the pictures that started this thread were taken near the design center and the two front seats were different colors. That sounds to me like that particular car is a technology and feature test mule the design center retains for their use. It may be an idea that got as far as the prototype phase and those lights may or may not make it into production.

As for whether the X will kill the S, I doubt it. The S might see some drop in sales, but I have little interest in the X. If I had unlimited funds (which I don't), and I needed a good hauler vehicle, I might consider buying an X and removing the two back rows of seats. The cargo capacity would probably approach a panel van at that point. However, I have only been looking at sedans for my more real world plans for a new car and the Model S is almost exactly what I was looking for. I drive a 1992 Buick with the same wheelbase as the Model S today. It gets decent gas mileage for a 92 car (16-18 around town and 25 on the highway), but I wanted something better. From all my research into ICE sedans, some mid-sized sedans had decent gas mileage, but I couldn't fit in them comfortably (I have very long legs), all the larger sedans had barely any improvement over what I drive now! On a whim I looked at the Tesla after crossing a lot of cars off my list and even though it is a major strain on my budget, I don't think I can consider any other ICE cars.

There is a Ford dealership on the way to our house. Since I started looking at cars, I would always look on their lot as we went by and just check out the cars. When I started, I was predisposed towards a Ford, it is the most convenient dealer to home. But pretty much all they sell are SUVs and pickups. They only have a few cars, most of them used. After crossing all the trucks off my list pretty quickly, I was left with the Fusion and the Taurus. The Fusion can't get the seat back far enough and the Taurus, despite being a big car, can barely get the seat back far enough. It's right on the edge. And it's the heaviest large ICE "family" sedan sold in the US. It would have been a lateral move gas mileage-wise and it was kind of gutless.

Anyway after investigating the Model S, I now look at the Ford dealer and think "dinosaurs"! The Model S could use some better storage around the front seats, but other than that, it's almost exactly what I was looking for, even if I didn't realize the electric would be "it" until I looked. Energy cost-wise we have some of the cheapest electricity in the country, $0.08/KWH, so charging at home is very reasonable. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying the carcases of ancient plankton in liquid form. Gasoline prices here are consistently higher than most of the rest of the country. I skipped over even considering electrics because just about all but the Tesla are pretty ugly, almost certainly too small for me, and have paltry ranges. I need a car that can make it to California and back somewhat faster than it took to get there before the railroads were built!

So no matter what the X looks like or has in features, I'm buying a Model S when I get the money together.

I wouldn't be surprised if some innovations are added to the S line when the X is introduced, but I doubt they are going to do a body redesign anytime soon. At the moment they have an iconic shape in the S and they need to keep that until the brand is established with a number of car models. Changing the tech or various trim features will probably continue as they go along. If the new bit fits into the hole the old bit used, or a new hole can be added easily for the new bit, that's pretty cheap to engineer. Redesigning the metal-work is a lot more involved process and I don't expect that until 2020 or later.

I doubt the Model X reveal will kill Model S sales and I don't think anyone has said that. However though the Model X technology and refinements may not be a deciding factor for some, other customers may wait for the Model X technology to be incorporated into the Model S before they buy.

I doubt the Model X reveal will kill Model S sales and I don't think anyone has said that. However though the Model X technology and refinements may not be a deciding factor for some, other customers may wait for the Model X technology to be incorporated into the Model S before they buy.

No one is disagreeing with that.

The people posting to say that they would buy an S over an X are doing so to counter AmpedRealtor's statement, (that you have a couple of times now said you don't think anyone has made,) that no one would buy an S with the old technology once the new technology is available on the X.

No one is disagreeing with that.

The people posting to say that they would buy an S over an X are doing so to counter AmpedRealtor's statement, (that you have a couple of times now said you don't think anyone has made,) that no one would buy an S with the old technology once the new technology is available on the X.

For the record, I think that S sales will stall appreciably between the X reveal and the time when non-X-specific kit (e.g., falcon wings) becomes available on the S.

I couldn't care less about body refreshes or new headlights. I think the S looks fine (I don't even care about the nosecone.)

I do care about around-view cameras, advanced sensor suites, dash-cam options, ventilated seats, and things of that nature.

If any of those are available for the X, then I will hold my S purchase until they are also available there, and I suspect that a meaningful percentage of S buyers will as well (when/if they become aware of them).

For the record, I think that S sales will stall appreciably between the X reveal and the time when non-X-specific kit (e.g., falcon wings) becomes available on the S.

I couldn't care less about body refreshes or new headlights. I think the S looks fine (I don't even care about the nosecone.)

I do care about around-view cameras, advanced sensor suites, dash-cam options, ventilated seats, and things of that nature.

If any of those are available for the X, then I will hold my S purchase until they are also available there, and I suspect that a meaningful percentage of S buyers will as well (when/if they become aware of them).

This is pretty much what I've been saying... When the new technology comes out in the Model X, I have a feeling a bunch of Model S customers will wait for the non falcon door Model X technology to be implemented in the Model S.

Once they get the Model X out, it makes sense for Tesla to move as much of the newer technology to the Model S as possible for no other reason than to simplify their supply chain. I know Elon said that despite their best efforts only about 30% of the parts are shared between the Model S and the Model X but what is intriguing is if they can increase that percentage simply by moving more advanced Model X parts and technology to the Model S. Perhaps within a year or so after the Model X release, the two cars will share at least 50% or more of the parts.

That BMW lighting technology is amazing and I bet the Model X will have better lighting technology than what we find in the Model S so why not offer that in the Model S as well. They could probably design that technology in a way where they can just drop the newer technology into the Model S lighting unit enclosure.