Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Winter is coming... parking with no hand break option needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

Im from Switzerland and I think other owners in country's with cool winter and salty roads have this problem.
If I drive and the streets are salted and I park my Tesla MX in the garage after a few hours the hand break stick.
After a few days it need a lot of force to "relaise" the car from this sticky position.

I solve this issue with my old ICE cars easy with not fasten the hand break in my garage.
I do this since 20 years and have no problem.
But in my Tesla I can't do this.
With the option "TOW MODE" after closing and lock the car it will break automatically.

And option I missed or any ideas for a solution are welcome.
Maybe Elon have to implement this option (please).

Thanks.....

The problem is the brake pads binding to the discs when the discs are wet. You may have heard a loud short noise when backing out of the garage even in summer if you drove the car in the rain just before parking it. I think this is caused by corrosion haze on the discs. You will often notice that the first applications of brakes on leaving the garage on the day after rain results in a rubbing sound that persists until the first couple of braking episodes wipe the haze off the discs. I expect the salt just makes this worse. Not only may it contribute to the "weld" when the water evaporates but its presence in the water probably increases the corrosion.

The only solution I can think of is to take a hose and shoot clean water up into the wheel wells onto the discs. Move the car a little and repeat. I don't think this is going to be very easy to do. I would also expect that enough torque from the accelerator pedal would break the bond, even with the added binding from the salt. But that's a guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: rymannphilippe
Live in Norway. We have lots of salt on the roads, and well below zero freezing temperatures. This has not really been an issue at all for us.

My problem is I often use my car only all 14 days. After this time the bonding is hard.

I hope I will get / find a solution.
My girlfriends Mercedes does also automatic break but she can manual disengage it for parking.

Thanks. I know this "problem" but my garage is flat (however the earth is round).
I leave all my manual transmission cars in the garage with no gear and no break.
Even so, it's why the car is designed to always set it's brake when in Park. I don't see any way around that. However, I haven't heard any other owners complaining about it being a problem, so it probably isn't.