Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NextEV 1,000 bhp supercar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/31/autos-china-electric-idUSL5N1162SQ20150831

"A group of deep-pocketed China-based internet entrepreneurs and financial investors, including Tencent and Hillhouse Capital, is backing an effort to create NextEV, a new rival to U.S. electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc."

The backers have hired ex-Ford Motor Co executive Martin Leach to build a global automaker, a NextEV spokeswoman said on Monday. The backers have also recruited experts with previous experience at Tesla, BMW AG, Volkswagen AG and other major car companies."

"The first model launched by NextEV will be an electric supercar," NextEV spokeswoman Jili Liu told Reuters. "This EV supercar is expected to outperform all combustion (engine) supercars in the world."

The sportscar is expected to debut in 2016. It will be designed to produce more than 1,000 horsepower and accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometers an hour (62 miles per hour) within 3 seconds, Liu said. A range of high-performance family cars will follow."

sigh. Another "rival" to Tesla Motors... at least this sounds more serious than the SunV@ult thing. Thoughts?

It will be designed to produce more than 1,000 horsepower and accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometers an hour (62 miles per hour) within 3 seconds, Liu said.
So their sports car will "just keep up" with the P90D w/Ludicrous but have 30-40% more "motor hp"? Seems like they're sandbagging, or don't really understand the impact of EV performance at 0rpm.

So their sports car will "just keep up" with the P90D w/Ludicrous but have 30-40% more "motor hp"? Seems like they're sandbagging, or don't really understand the impact of EV performance at 0rpm.
There are other metrics beyond 0-60 :) Seems like all the big HP cars have long since moved to the 60-130mph gold standard where some of them are cracking low 2.x second times. I'm looking forward to the first EV to run 60-130mph in under 10 seconds (roughly what a Porsche 911 Turbo runs) and it's just a matter of time before an EV can do the same. I wonder how much power that P85D front motor is really capable of anyway, and if it has more untapped power in it, when is Tesla going to uncork it???

There are other metrics beyond 0-60 :) Seems like all the big HP cars have long since moved to the 60-130mph gold standard where some of them are cracking low 2.x second times. I'm looking forward to the first EV to run 60-130mph in under 10 seconds (roughly what a Porsche 911 Turbo runs) and it's just a matter of time before an EV can do the same. I wonder how much power that P85D front motor is really capable of anyway, and if it has more untapped power in it, when is Tesla going to uncork it???

I bet the Rimac Concept One can do it. In the video below he mentions they can do more, but they limit it. It has 4 motors!

Rimac Concept One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:
To outperform all ICEs in the world they better get that 0-60 times down below 2.2 or so.

That wouldn't be as easy as you try to make it out to be. Although electric is superior to petrol in many ways it still has some way to come to exceed petrol when it comes to extreme speed.

I'd say, pricing of an EV, the still evolving battery cells and their lack of top speeds are some of the factors keeping an EV from outperforming "all ICEs in the World".

I'm not sure how familiar you are with drag racing but let me just say, there is this category called pro-street, where one can build a car that gets from 0 to 100 in about a second and make it street legal as well. Those kind of cars have engines that leave EVs in the dust... sure, an EV is still better in every other way, but if your point is just outperforming on speed then you're not accurate. If you were, then we would of seen EVs on drag strips making wheelies nearing till the end of the strip...

That wouldn't be as easy as you try to make it out to be. Although electric is superior to petrol in many ways it still has some way to come to exceed petrol when it comes to extreme speed.

I'd say, pricing of an EV, the still evolving battery cells and their lack of top speeds are some of the factors keeping an EV from outperforming "all ICEs in the World".

I'm not sure how familiar you are with drag racing but let me just say, there is this category called pro-street, where one can build a car that gets from 0 to 100 in about a second and make it street legal as well. Those kind of cars have engines that leave EVs in the dust... sure, an EV is still better in every other way, but if your point is just outperforming on speed then you're not accurate. If you were, then we would of seen EVs on drag strips making wheelies nearing till the end of the strip...

Thanks. I meant their claim to outperform all ICEs in the world is a tall order and likely not achievable for a reasonable price. They could get very close. Tesla is talking about a low 2 second car for the next Roadster for example and I bet it won't cost over $150,000 or so. Certainly not $1 million like some of the supercars with that acceleration.