Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Rating results in for the RWD Model 3: 5 stars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIHS's ratings are based on the cost to repair damage. While that's good to know, the most important one is NHSTA.

I disagree - the IIHS has done some crash tests that Tesla has performed not as well on in the past - notably the small offset frontal. I think those results are just as important as the NHTSA for the total safety picture. IIHS also rates headlights and IMHO correctly nailed Tesla for the updated LED lights in the Model S that were worse than the previous HIDs. My 3 seems like it has better headlights than our S, so I am hoping Tesla will do better on that mark now.

Kinda bugs me about the other luxury carmakers for BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-class, Audi A4, and Lexus. They must do these crash tests pre-production. So someone out there actually saw that they would only get 4 star frontal crash ratings, and said "ok, that's good enough, ship it".

The Lexus looks like it’s bent in half. Still 5 Star?

If you want bent in half, look up the test where they took an old Audi 5000 and removed the roof structure.
View media item 118906
For comparison, here's a 2013 Escape:
View media item 118907
And a 2013 Nissan Sentra:
View media item 118908
If you watch the videos, one interesting thing is that the weight of the engine up front continues to bend the car around the pole: The rear of the car stops moving before the front.

Also, here's the Model S:

View media item 118909
That picture is a bit deceiving. The floor of the car is so stiff the whole car rotated up when the sill impacted the pole. All 4 wheels came off the ground (!). Because of the rotation, compared to the other cars it looks like the pole has moved further into the cabin than it actually did.

-J

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus