Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice 1973 Porsche 914 EV needing new home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
I have a 1973 Porsche 914 that's converted to 100% electric power. It even has carpool (clean air) stickers for driving in California HOV lanes. It has a dual AC motor, which is two AC motors on one shaft and one housing, so it looks like one motor but is actually two. It's the AC-35 x 2 made by HPEVS. 1000 amps at 144 volts, so technically 144kw. The motor drives the 5 speed transaxle. You can drive it in 3rd gear like an automatic (from zero to about 90 mph), or, for great acceleration, start out in 1st or 2nd. Cruise the freeway in 4th or 5th. I've never driven it over 90mph, but I'm confident it would go 120 or more.

I bought the car already converted several years ago, but then I had EV West convert it to the twin AC motors because the DC motor that was there when I bought it didn't have regen braking and needed regular brush changes. Now, it's got regen, is maintenance free and more fun. The regen is programmable and it is optimized for regular driving versus when the clutch is pressed versus when the brake is pressed. I've driven it almost 8000 miles on the AC motors.

I love this car, and it pains me to sell it, but I ended up buying a Tesla Roadster and I don't have room or budget for two great sports cars, so I'm selling it. It was used in an EV West video, link follows.

Zelectric is actually selling it for me, and here are lots of pictures. Note, the price listed on the following link is being reduced to $60k obo. FYI, the original guy put well over $100k into the conversion, and then I've invested more in going to the AC motors. The transmission 2nd gear (synchro) was grinding, so I also just had the entire transaxle rebuilt. Shifts great now.

1973 Porsche 914

There are other converted 914's, but I've never seen or heard of one done this nicely. I even won 1st place at a Porsche Concours (Dana Point) for Special Interest. The real range is 100 to 160 miles, depending on how it's driven. Has almost 200 ft-lbs of torque, and if you combine this with 1st gear, it launches! However, most of the time I drive it gently. Has LiFePO4 (lithium) batteries that are in excellent shape with no measurable degradation. Leather interior. Currently located in Laguna Beach, Ca.

Good luck with the sale. I saw the car in person when visiting EV West and it really is a nice conversion. I also drive a 914 conversion and would love to trade up, but my money is set aside for a Model 3 reservation I have.
Great that you saw the car before and thanks for commenting. You're welcome to take it for a spin sometime if you want and of course I'd love to see your conversion, too.

I have a 1973 Porsche 914 that's converted to 100% electric power. It even has carpool (clean air) stickers for driving in California HOV lanes. It has a dual AC motor, which is two AC motors on one shaft and one housing, so it looks like one motor but is actually two. It's the AC-35 x 2 made by HPEVS. 1000 amps at 144 volts, so technically 144kw. The motor drives the 5 speed transaxle. You can drive it in 3rd gear like an automatic (from zero to about 90 mph), or, for great acceleration, start out in 1st or 2nd. Cruise the freeway in 4th or 5th. I've never driven it over 90mph, but I'm confident it would go 120 or more.

I bought the car already converted several years ago, but then I had EV West convert it to the twin AC motors because the DC motor that was there when I bought it didn't have regen braking and needed regular brush changes. Now, it's got regen, is maintenance free and more fun. The regen is programmable and it is optimized for regular driving versus when the clutch is pressed versus when the brake is pressed. I've driven it almost 8000 miles on the AC motors.

I love this car, and it pains me to sell it, but I ended up buying a Tesla Roadster and I don't have room or budget for two great sports cars, so I'm selling it. It was used in an EV West video, link follows.

Zelectric is actually selling it for me, and here are lots of pictures. Note, the price listed on the following link is being reduced to $60k obo. FYI, the original guy put well over $100k into the conversion, and then I've invested more in going to the AC motors. The transmission 2nd gear (synchro) was grinding, so I also just had the entire transaxle rebuilt. Shifts great now.

1973 Porsche 914

There are other converted 914's, but I've never seen or heard of one done this nicely. I even won 1st place at a Porsche Concours (Dana Point) for Special Interest. The real range is 100 to 160 miles, depending on how it's driven. Has almost 200 ft-lbs of torque, and if you combine this with 1st gear, it launches! However, most of the time I drive it gently. Has LiFePO4 (lithium) batteries that are in excellent shape with no measurable degradation. Leather interior. Currently located in Laguna Beach, Ca.
Sorry not in market but am curious who services the car? Where are batteries (I would guess trunk). Does that throw off weight distribution and affect handling? Would it be difficult to register in other states?

Sorry not in market but am curious who services the car? Where are batteries (I would guess trunk). Does that throw off weight distribution and affect handling? Would it be difficult to register in other states?
EV West in San Ramos California (evwest.com) services the car when necessary. Generally, it's maintenance free now.

The batteries are in the fronk, the middle (in the original engine area), and the rear trunk and the weight distribution is the same percentage as a regular 914 (54% rear, 46% front), but the weight is about 500 pounds higher (2702 pounds now). With so much more torque and power, the car doesn't feel heavier and it's much faster than any original 914 including the 914-6.

Here are a bunch of pictures I took several weeks ago:
https://1973porsche914ev.shutterfly.com