Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightly charging = slight overcharge, misses target

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having a small issue with my 2023 MYP, purchased late August. Although my charge limit is set to 80%, I sometimes (30%?) find that my car is sitting at 81% instead of 80. No big deal, figured it was just a rounding error.

But last night my car charged to 83% instead of 80, and that's more than a rounding error. I noticed another thread from June where someone else had an 83% 'overcharge'.

Anyone else having this happen? Should I worry? Doesn't happen all the time, and never went past 81 before. I left the car at 19% with a charge start time at 11pm, as usual.

I think when I got the car, the recommended charge limit was 90%, but that changed (automatically) to 80% within days of purchase. (IF I am remembering correctly.) One morning I looked at my Tesla app and the charge limit was set to 80. OK, left it there, except the morning of a long trip. Yesterday I charged the car from 80 to 90% at breakfast then drove to Flagstaff. Got there at 21% and immediately supercharged up to 68% for the trip home. Just in case those charging experiences somehow relate to this morning's overcharge.

As if on cue :)

(OP, this is not meant as a slight toward you. It's just easier than typing it all out again.)