Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No biodefense for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla apparently released a little bit of info to salespeople here:
Tesla explains the differences in its growing S3XY electric car lineup in one chart - Electrek

It's kind of an absurdly written checklist and seems like it's mostly an attempt at upselling customers to the S/X. But it does have a few tiny pieces of actual information. One of which is that the S/X have the HEPA filter but the 3/Y don't.

When the Model 3 first came out I remember Elon saying how much he loved biodefense mode and would love to include it in the 3, but that the 3 was just to small to fit the gigantic HEPA filter into. So with the Y being moderately larger I had hoped that maybe they'd revisit that and use some of the extra space to put in the bigger air filter. But sadly this table crushes the dream on that one.

(Fwiw the table also confirms what Elon already said about the Y not having air suspension)

• Helpful
Reactions: lowtek
You can always buy aftermarket HEPA filter (Model 3 as an example): HEPA Cabin Air Filters for Model 3 (sold as a pair)

To really defend virus or bacteria, you need positive pressure cabin so the air cannot go inside. Only S/X has it.
Also, I'd be more concerned about the majority of the time one spends outside of the car, being exposed to other people and the surfaces they have touched.

Also, I'd be more concerned about the majority of the time one spends outside of the car, being exposed to other people and the surfaces they have touched.

Agreed. What I'm more concerned about is pollution while driving. Bugs you have an immune system, pollution has been correlated to many health conditions.(thanks ICE cars!)

I wonder if the positive pressure mentioned above is necessary for that too or is HEPA good enough.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
It is unfortunate that I will not be able to get milk and eggs during a bio chemical attack but for me it was no heated steering wheel. No mention if the rumor of power folding rear seats was correct or not for the Y. I would take power folding rears or a heated steering wheel over heated back seats. You have to admit it does look like an X propaganda page.

Agreed. What I'm more concerned about is pollution while driving. Bugs you have an immune system, pollution has been correlated to many health conditions.(thanks ICE cars!)

I wonder if the positive pressure mentioned above is necessary for that too or is HEPA good enough.
Has anyone in the group with an air quality tester tried something like the car IQAir Atem or any other type of portal car air purifier? If so please share your results, thanks!