Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No car or voucher when car in for service!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I’m really sad today.

I was going to buy a model 3.

Then an employee at the Vancouver store told me that if my car needed service/warranty work I wouldn’t get a loaner, a rental, or any kind of voucher because I don’t live in Vancouver.
I don’t understand why you can get a rental car if you live in Vancouver but you can’t get a rental car if you live in Nelson.

Sucks. But I can’t justify paying out of pocket for a rental car anytime my car is in for service or work. It was enough to ask me to travel to Vancouver to get it serviced but if it’s towed there and out of commission for weeks, I can’t justify renting a car.

That’s a deal breaker for me. I was so looking forward to buying.
:(
I did ask the employee to pass my disappointment to management for whatever that’s worth in the future.

The sale person at a store just passed a general information to you. You may need to talk to a service centre manager where you plan to have all service done to work out a deal (if it exists). But if I was you, I wouldn't buy a Tesla. It is not convenience for you and for Tesla to service your vehicle because of the extremely long distance. Towing is also cover for a maximum distance so you will likely have to pay for some towing fee to get your vehicle to Tesla.

it is annoying to not be able to get a loaner car.

I've had my car in the shop once for just a day (when the car was new, I had them look into one of the infamous wind-noises up front). I had to drop the car off in the AM, get an UBER (sigh) to drive me to work and have the same pick me up and drive me back to tesla when the car was ready.

I refuse to install apps like uber on my phone (privacy, priv, tracking issues). the only 'solution' was for the service advisor to add the 100miles courtesy uber credit to HER phone and SHE would call for an uber via the app (it seems you can only book these clowns via an app, not via phone and not via simple web; which is why I refuse to install 'apps' that have no good reason for being).

it worked that day (the SA got all those extra miles on her account) but I would not be happy with 'an uber' if I had to live without the car for any length of time. don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes; they are VERY short of cars and I understand that, but that's why there is a hertz and avis, as much as I'd hate having an ICE again, I really dislike being forced into a lyft/uber model!!

I appreciate OP’s disappointment. I struggled with the decision to by a TM3 as I live on Vancouver Island. The nearest Tesla service centre is in the city of Vancouver, four to five hours of travel away (so eight to 10 hours return trip), involving over $150 worth of ferry fares. Just to get the Tesla winter wheels package on my car I had to make that trip as Tesla would not do it on the Island.

In my work I am frequently even further away from Vancouver, including frequent trips that would put me an additional five hours of travel and two ferry trips away.

I understand that there is risk associated with any vehicle. I understand that Tesla doesn’t want to accept that risk. I decided to accept the risk and hope that I never experience the actual problem. It’s part of the problem of being on the leading edge.

The plot thickens..

Someone from the service department (not sales) told me the salesperson was wrong, if my car had to go in for repair or servicing, I would get a rental from Enterprise. I would still have to pay for gas.
However, there is no enterprise around me so still out of luck. But good news for anyone living near an enterprise rental location!

anyone heard anything different from Vancouver Tesla or elsewhere in Canada about rental cars?

Tesla towed my car nearly 700km to Quebec SC, rented me a car from Enterprise to go the same 700km to the SC, then loaned me a Tesla to use while my car was being worked on and I was going on a pre-planned trip to Montreal.

I had to pay for gasoline, which was "expensive", but all Supercharging was free.

Overall I'm very impressed with their service and support. This happened over the holidays and they were very responsive on weekends/holidays.

The plot thickens..

Someone from the service department (not sales) told me the salesperson was wrong, if my car had to go in for repair or servicing, I would get a rental from Enterprise. I would still have to pay for gas.
However, there is no enterprise around me so still out of luck. But good news for anyone living near an enterprise rental location!

anyone heard anything different from Vancouver Tesla or elsewhere in Canada about rental cars?

Tesla Vancouver SC would arrange for an Enterprise rental car for you in advance of your appointment. The Enterprise location they use is just a few blocks from the SC. Last time an Enterprise staff drove me from the SC to their lot to pick up the rental, but when I returned the car I just walked back to the SC. Car selection is quite limited though as it is a small Enterprise shop.

Not sure why you'd want an Enterprise location close to your home instead of close to the SC... And fyi I was not made aware of any mileage limits on the rental.

When I needed to bring my vehicle in for service (about a week) in Ontario, I was given an enterprise rental, AND told to provide gas receipts and was eventually mailed a cheque for the cost of gas. Live a few hours out from Toronto SC which was closest place at the time. For what it's worth, the issues being corrected were from the time of delivery. Things change at Tesla frequently (ie in the past I think people were given Tesla loaners, when I had to deal with it, I got an ICE... lately I hear Uber credits.) For what it's worth, I've been told many high end companies won't provide loaners at all... I'm coming from a Mazda, and they always provided a loaner for >1day service, and otherwise just a shuttle to somewhere nearby if it was <1day of work.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I agree with Dante, things keep changing. Personally, I'd not be surprised if Tesla just stops any kind of transportation help for service. It's not part of the sale's agreements, and they sell every car they make, so what's their incentive?

I agree with Dante, things keep changing. Personally, I'd not be surprised if Tesla just stops any kind of transportation help for service. It's not part of the sale's agreements, and they sell every car they make, so what's their incentive?
Since their only advertising is word of mouth, positive reviews to ones friends, family and others do matter. Good service experiences is one way to mitigate the myriad issues a new owner can have.

Tesla Vancouver SC would arrange for an Enterprise rental car for you in advance of your appointment. The Enterprise location they use is just a few blocks from the SC. Last time an Enterprise staff drove me from the SC to their lot to pick up the rental, but when I returned the car I just walked back to the SC. Car selection is quite limited though as it is a small Enterprise shop.

Not sure why you'd want an Enterprise location close to your home instead of close to the SC... And fyi I was not made aware of any mileage limits on the rental.
I’m worried more about the car being towed to vancouver and me stuck in Nelson without a car. If I drive the car all the way to vancouver for repairs and they give me a car to take back to Nelson that I could then drive back to pick up that’s four days of travel to have my car worked on.
I talked with a SC across the border four hours away and they work on Canadian cars too so that’s great.
But yea, for small change my car needs towing I can’t get a replacement vehicle. Deal breaker especially for the wife

The plot thickens..

Wrong, I have been to the Service center twice, both times Rental car at Enterprise, did not refill the car, they charge Tesla directly. Both times I walked the few blocks down and back.

And since you live in Nelson, its the chance you take to buy a Tesla and not be close to a Service center.