Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No "Door open" warning when the car starts to move?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice in my ICE car, I had backed out of the garage while a second-row door was wide open, once broke the sheetrock, and another time the door. This is in spite of my Honda beeping politely when that happens.
Unfortunately, I was about to make the same mistake in MY today. The 3 camera views were right there in the display, but my muscle memory focused only on the back camera view, and when it was clear, i started moving, obviously (lulled by the false sense of "my car knows better")
Luckily, my wife was there to stop me.

Would Tesla have stopped if I kept moving and the door came too close to the garage wall?
Other than blaming myself, is there anything I else could do? (any hidden settings, 3rd party addons, that will make the vehicle not move if the doors are wide open, or at least give flashing warnings)?

Twice in my ICE car, I had backed out of the garage while a second-row door was wide open, once broke the sheetrock, and another time the door. This is in spite of my Honda beeping politely when that happens.
Unfortunately, I was about to make the same mistake in MY today. The 3 camera views were right there in the display, but my muscle memory focused only on the back camera view, and when it was clear, i started moving, obviously (lulled by the false sense of "my car knows better")
Luckily, my wife was there to stop me.

Would Tesla have stopped if I kept moving and the door came too close to the garage wall?
Other than blaming myself, is there anything I else could do? (any hidden settings, 3rd party addons, that will make the vehicle not move if the doors are wide open, or at least give flashing warnings)?
The car has visual and audible warning (3 beep - repeating) that a door is open when drive/reverse is selected out of park.

Check it out.
20230202_231805.jpg

Reactions: GtiMart
The car has visual and audible warning (3 beep - repeating) that a door is open when drive/reverse is selected out of park
Thanks, I'll check. May be I'm tuned to ignore those, my previous ICE car used to beep for any and all reasons, (when any passenger was not wearing seat belt, etc), i may be just tuning it out, out of habbit.
Wish the pedal stiffens in addition to the beep (like how the car warns you against lane change sometimes).

My car won’t shut up if a door is open and in gear.

But no it won’t stop or prevent movement. There’s no sensors in the doors that tell the car you’re about to hit something with it.
Hmm, Tesla Vision should be able to definitely deduct it based on just the visuals, besides, the side cameras will be completely blocked when the doors are open. Hope they choose to act on it in some way soon.