Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO-DRILL License Plate Mount for Tesla Model-S - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to WestMarine in South San Francisco to look for j hooks. They had nothing. The clerk searched their website and found nothing. So I went to Lowes next door and they had a few sizes but of course not in stainless steel, just zinc plated steel. Won't last as long but in this mild climate should be fine. The closest size at Lowes to what I wanted was 1/4"x4'. Too long of course, next size down was 3/16'x2 1/2' which is too short. So I cut down the 4" size with my Dremel. Cost less than $2.

I think this front plate mounting method is the easiest and is very secure, actually easier to do than the zip ties, moves around less, and will last longer. (Note: in the lowermost photo to the object attached to the lower edge of the plate is a Fastrak external transponder)

j-hooks.jpg

bolts-from-front.jpg

bolts-from-behind.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I misspoke above. I got stainless steel S-hooks (not J-hooks, I had actually looked in their catalog in the store and couldn't find any), eye-bolts and self-locking nuts from West Marine. I'm still on crutches and somewhat limited, so I haven't been able to take a picture. Zinc-plated hardware will work fine for years in sunny California, I'm sure. My combo of S and eye hooks also needed a little Dremel trimming at the threaded end.

Length is maybe 3" but I didn't measure them, I just inserted the hooks into the grill, put the plate mount over the hooks and flush against the bumper and marked the threaded section with tape, leaving just enough thread sticking out through the plate mount so the nut could be secured on it and would be flush with the surface of the plate mount.

Klaus I'm having trouble visualizing how you used the S hooks and look forward to photos when you are able to provide the,

PSX_20140617_101519.jpg
This is THE best solution for mounting a front license plate on a MS. It's MUCH easier to install than zip ties, and EASIER to remove and REAPPLY for cleaning behind the plate. It's SIMPLER and MUCH CHEAPER than other mounts (>$100), and LASTS forever. It also will not impact the coefficient of drag nearly as much as a plate on the nose cone. These are rubberized to protect the grill and provide a snug fit without having to over tighten the mount and crack or warp the grill in hot weather.

Think not having a front plate doesn't matter? Tell that to the guy that had a glass of wine with his dinner is CA, got stopped for no plate and got an additional DWI for his trouble. Regardless of what solution you select, it's not worth it not to have it.

Think not having a front plate doesn't matter? Tell that to the guy that had a glass of wine with his dinner is CA, got stopped for no plate and got an additional DWI for his trouble. Regardless of what solution you select, it's not worth it not to have it.
A glass of wine with dinner will not get you a DUI in any state in the US. If he more to drink and enough alcohol in his blood for a DUI, he deserved it.

This is THE best solution for mounting a front license plate on a MS. It's MUCH easier to install than zip ties, and EASIER to remove and REAPPLY for cleaning behind the plate. It's SIMPLER and MUCH CHEAPER than other mounts (>$100), and LASTS forever. It also will not impact the coefficient of drag nearly as much as a plate on the nose cone. These are rubberized to protect the grill and provide a snug fit without having to over tighten the mount and crack or warp the grill in hot weather.

Bumping multiple threads is frowned upon here. As is astroturfing.....:rolleyes: