Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uss.png

The 360 vision parking is so basic, on just about every new car these days, and so important for anyone parking in a garage, tight spaces, etc. Blows my mind they can’t seem to figure this out (the recently released parking sucks). Regardless, still have a my MSP order in!:D
They can figure it out. They just don’t want to pay to license the tech.

I noticed starting with 11.3.X FSD my USS no longer display when I'm near any objects like they previously did. 10.69 they still alerted while on FSD or NOA, or even just driving. If they did 360 like any of my other vehicles I would be happy, but there not even close

Here is an interesting overview that I think is pretty balanced of using just TeslaVision instead of USS. He has some other videos worth watching. I think early on he was a lot more optimistic than I was but I think that is changing.

Reactions: StevenSD
Just picked up my (April '23 manufacture date) Model S Plaid. No USS as expected. Also no park sensing / distance measurement at all, unexpected. Downloaded one major updated and no change. Maybe lack of front USS is why the (inexplicably only to Model S) tape the front license plate brackets on?

Maybe the front license plate bracket is the braille parking sensor that is all we are left with now that they removed USS and have no AI Vision?

Does anyone know if there is a plan for AI Vision parking sensor coming back? Seems some are claiming need to have FSD (pretty absurd!) to get park distance sensing, or maybe it just comes with a later update if you don't have FSD?

Reactions: jrr6415sun
What until you get the update that gives you the half @$$ed vision interpretation of the USS.

You are the shining example of why I looked for a used Plaid instead of a new one. I lived through the debacle of radar removal. I waited and waited, and waited, and waited for it to get better until I gave up an sold my car.

In all seriousness, I am sorry you are going through it. I hope they get something better than what they have for you soon. I honestly won't hold my breath as SW can only do so much to make up for missing HW. Go buy a wireless front camera and install it up front ASAP. It will definitely help. They have some good ones that are easy to install and about $150. Will likely pay for itself.

What until you get the update that gives you the half @$$ed vision interpretation of the USS.

You are the shining example of why I looked for a used Plaid instead of a new one. I lived through the debacle of radar removal. I waited and waited, and waited, and waited for it to get better until I gave up an sold my car.

In all seriousness, I am sorry you are going through it. I hope they get something better than what they have for you soon. I honestly won't hold my breath as SW can only do so much to make up for missing HW. Go buy a wireless front camera and install it up front ASAP. It will definitely help. They have some good ones that are easy to install and about $150. Will likely pay for itself.
I've seen how AI vision is inferior to USS in current version on 3/Y, and I could live with that, just kinda irked I'm literally getting no park assist on a > $100k car. I couldn't live with a yoke though so I'm not going backwards in time. Also kinda like the new vivid red I got.
If I could even just pop the front camera (elevated from my eyes) view onscreen I'd be okay with that, but I'm not gonna stick another camera in the cabin. Fortunately, lacking forward sensors isn't too big a hardship just kinda shocking...

I read somewhere in this forum (a while back so I’m unable to find it at the moment) that Tesla’s software has gone full visual even on refresh MS that have the USS hardware. Does your USS equipped Plaid still actually use the USS?