Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No regen in very cold temps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew that regen was limited when the battery was cold. But yesterday I found out that if the battery is cold enough there is NO regen at all. I did not have the car plugged in yesterday afternoon outside at the office. When I left for home, temps were about -15F. Saw the warning about regen on the screen, but thought it said regen would be limited until the battery warmed up. While driving down the freeway, when I'd let up on the accelerator, the car just coasted. Absolutely no regen and no green line on the screen showing power going to the battery. Odd feeling not having the regen slowing the car down---I've gotten quite used to one-foot driving. Guess that now when it's really cold, I'll try to warm up the battery before I leave.

I knew that regen was limited when the battery was cold. But yesterday I found out that if the battery is cold enough there is NO regen at all. I did not have the car plugged in yesterday afternoon outside at the office. When I left for home, temps were about -15F. Saw the warning about regen on the screen, but thought it said regen would be limited until the battery warmed up. While driving down the freeway, when I'd let up on the accelerator, the car just coasted. Absolutely no regen and no green line on the screen showing power going to the battery. Odd feeling not having the regen slowing the car down---I've gotten quite used to one-foot driving. Guess that now when it's really cold, I'll try to warm up the battery before I leave.

Yep, believe it or not, the car does have brakes and they work as well as the brakes on all the other cars on the road.

I remember years ago going skiing. I took a camera up with me, got to the top, it didn't work. Realizing that I had carried it up outside my jacket, I kept it inside and it worked fine. Same battery, just warmed up, same amount of charge.

Cold batteries just don't work well. You can't charge them, hence no or limited regen.