Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No SC near me, how's the ranger service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the MX a couple weeks ago, and one of my biggest concerns was the nearest showroom or service center is about 2 hours from me. i told the sales guy this, and he kept raving how no matter what, I would not need to come to the SC, if there was minor alignment issues with the doors and whatnot, the ranger can fix that at my home/work, and if it was anything more major a ranger wouldn't fix, Tesla would cover a tow to/from the service center... and reading all the comments I feel a bit concerned with the number of issues. How is Tesla's mobile repair service? Are they willing/able to do most things or is there certain sets of minor issues that the ranger won't do, and Tesla won't cover a tow to get it taken care of? Or was I just totally oversold on the ranger service?

I don't mind going a couple times to the service center, but if I have to leave my car there, each time will literally take me a full 8 hours of my time... that happens more then a couple times, I won't be a happy camper.

The other thing concerning me is the lack of service manual and information for this vehicle. I'm typically the type that (out of warranty) doesn't mind tinkering with things, I've changed my own door actuators, window motors, change my own oil, brakes, etc (never have dug into the engine or anything though, nor any desire to), but the Tesla seems to have no instructions other then bring it to the service center for just about... everything. Considering how far it is, once out of warranty, my goal is honestly to never bring it there, and any and all maintenance issues and repairs myself. Should I be concerned about this? I guess I have 4 more years for those resources to get better while I'm still in warranty, but I wish Tesla provided more.

Ranger came out to replace defective key fob. Had to be programmed to our x
Did a great job. Service center wanted to keep car, I suggested the ranger. He said can do 1st and 3rd year service too. Much better than going to service center.

I’ve had ranger service come out last week to replace my screen (yellow border issu) and mcu. It was awesome, so much better than going in. Ranger service can only fix specific issues though, so what I do is call th would SC and they had the mobile team call me back after running my requests with them. I also had ranger service come out to fix a paint scuff the service center made fixing my window.

Prior to that, I had asked for ranger service because my window was creaking and they said they don’t fix that so I had to bring it in. I do think there will be times you need to bring it in and that you were a bit oversold. If your car breaks down and can’t be driven I could see them towing your car for that, but I doubt they would bring it in for you for anything other than that... so I would hesitate there. In 1.5 years if ownership I have been to SC 5 times, but most of it was within first 6 months. The last 2 issues (window creaking, yellow border around lcd) were not major to me.

Rangers can basically do everything except replace the drive unit/battery and do wheel alignments (which you need a special machine to do).
That is exactly what he told me, and he said if either of those were necessary they would tow it to service center for me and back when its done so I didn't need to worry about anything, so I'm hoping that is true. I'm anxious, just hoping the car really doesn't have any service issues.

Where I live we didn't have a service centre for the first two years of ownership. The closest service centre was 600 miles away. I really liked having the chance to watch the ranger take the car apart in my garage. Gave me a chance to see what type of work I might be able to do myself after my warranty runs out. I took lots of pictures!
We have a service centre now and I love getting new cars to drive around while they work on the car but I do miss the personal service a ranger provides.