Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sensor alerts when backing up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved from a Lincoln MKX to my Model S and one of the first things I noticed was when backing out of my drive the Model S doesn't warn me of approaching vehicles coming in either direction down the road. The Lincoln MKX would warn me of cars roughly 200' away coming at me. Yes I always look so I am not depending solely on this feature.

As one of the most sophisticated cars on the market this seems like a must have, right? Could I just not have a setting turned on? Is there a setting for this?

Thanks for your time.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Nope, this is one of those questionable design choices. No rear cross traffic alerts (even my wife's Beetle has those) and no proper blind spot monitoring in any Tesla (don't tell me that what they have is blind spot monitoring).

*not even the Model 3 with the latest and greatest tech has this.

I bet earlier models wouldn't have the hardware to accommodate this feature.

On the contrary, I think hardware wise they're fine. They already have a bunch of ultrasonic sensors (I don't know if anything else is needed for RCTA). I think they just chose not to bother with developing and fine tuning the software part.

After I get my S I will look into this. I keep seeing aftermarket systems which don't seem to be that hard to implement.

You can add the avoidance & collisions systems as well on the early Model S.
A weak feature suite as compared to the ICE crowd
But you know what? I Love my car more than I do our new Lincoln.
There are some things on the Lincoln such as the cross traffic and collision warning systems, plus the the seats,
that I would change into the S, but not the ride, handling, acceleration, mileage, and the safety of the S

Reactions: cucubits