Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No turn signal on reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, please tell me you're being facetious. Up here in Canada, 90%+ of drivers always use hand signals, even when their turn signals are working, but especially when parallel parking or backing into a parking spot. Are you trying to tell me that drivers in NY or LA aren't polite enough to do the same?!

Edited to add: ;-)

Last edited:
Guys, please tell me you're being facetious. Up here in Canada, 90%+ of drivers always use hand signals, even when their turn signals are working, but especially when parallel parking or backing into a parking spot. Are you trying to tell me that drivers in NY or LA aren't polite enough to do the same?!

I am in the midwest and haven't seen a hand signal in decades other than the occasional motorcycle.

I was shocked to see a driver about a year ago use a definite and purposeful hand signal when turning right. I think it was the first one I'd seen since taking driver's ed in the early '70s. Couldn't tell the age of the driver as he/she made the turn before I could get next to them.

This is in the middle of Silicon Valley. Many of the people here do not use their signals when driving on the streets and highways, much less when backing into a parking space either tail-in or parallel. A former boss of mine, who used to be in a pit crew for a local SCCA driver back in the mid '80s, told me he never signals when changing lanes as that's a sure sign for the driver behind to speed up and cut him off. I must admit that that has happened to me many times, but it's also true that some drivers move back to give me room to merge.

• Funny
Reactions: 9-Volt
Not for nothing, but I kind of suspect that's because that's what he does when he sees someone signalling...

Absolutely... it's like people that speed up when they "think" you're going to get in front of them and I bet they're the first to cut in front of other drivers (and probably without any turn signal) :D... gotta love SoCal, we have the most rude and self centered drivers in the US.

I personally find it ridiculous that a car maker would decide on my behalf that signaling while in reverse should never be done and enforce it by disable it. (I am sure they needed extra time on the devs part to check if the car is in reverse and stop the blinker)

Cases where I found myself signaling while in reverse:
- waiting for a car in one of the first parking spots (perpendicular parking) to leave, when waiting before the stall means I am in the middle of the street. So I drive beyond that spot, put it in reverse and signal
- parallel parking
- reversing out of a parking spot when another car is waiting in a tight parking area. By blinking his way he will understand that he needs to give me more space
- backing up in on a narrow street area for any reason when there are cars around (simple example that happened a few days ago: large area between service shops, full of equipment and cars. I was backing out on a very narrow strip with the intention to do three way turn using a side alcove). A car was coming towards me from the back with the intention to avoid me by going exactly in that alcove. Me holding that signal saved the day

I really think that when backing up is that much more important to make it clear to everyone around what your intentions are.

I have the same issue, we have a 130 degree turn down the road where you have to back up into a side-street to get out, always use my turn signal there. Added it as an issue on my last (of very many) service appointment, and they said it was by design. Hopefully somebody will lower the security score on the car so they can re-enable it.

Want me to make it weirder for you? If you put it into reverse, then hit the turn signal, it will only blink 3 times before it stops.
Want me to make it even weirder? If you double-press the the right turn signal it will keep blinking while backing up, but not if you double-press for the left turn signal.

It just occurred to me that the reversing signal changes are doubly bad for Vermont drivers who wish to do a legal Vermont turnaround, which consists of:

* Pull over just past intersection, indicating right turn
* Indicating, reverse into intersection
* Stop, indicate left turn
* Make left turn as normal

From the VT driver manual:
upload_2019-11-4_8-1-57.png

It just occurred to me that the reversing signal changes are doubly bad for Vermont drivers who wish to do a legal Vermont turnaround, which consists of:

* Pull over just past intersection, indicating right turn
* Indicating, reverse into intersection
* Stop, indicate left turn
* Make left turn as normal

From the VT driver manual:
View attachment 473052

For this scenario, a double tap on the right signal will keep blinking in reverse. If they had to reverse and do a left turn they would have to hold the turn signal lever.

I noticed this last night. I thought I was going crazy. Which update changed it? It needs to be fixed soon.

I’ve also discovered this accidentally when reversing back along a service road/slip road after I discovered it was inconveniently closed off by a truck parked at the end. The left signal shows that you intend keeping to the left and that other drivers (rubbish trucks, in this case) can pass on the right.

On a related note - the other day, I had an unusual struggle after overtaking. I’ve had my car about a month now, and have had no problem cancelling the indicator/turn signal with a tap on the stalk in the same direction as the signal is currently flashing. That didn’t work the other day; the signals kept flashing. I tried pushing the stalk the other way and of course the result was that they flashed in the other direction with, again, no way to stop them. Nightmare! :eek:

-Alex

I wouldn't call this a bug.

I think its just a change / feature.

This is an interesting concept.....as I always wonder what a person is doing in a parking lot when their turn signals are on.

Are they turning backwards. Are they turning forwards. Did they just hit the turn signal by mistake and left it on while going up and down ALL of the aisles looking for a parking spot?