Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VIN to delivery in 45mins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally after waiting for almost 3 months I drove in to the local SC and asked them that it was going to be 3 months and I still don't have a VIN. They looked around for about 10 mins and said we have a RED with White/Black do you want it. My original config was Blue on Black with 19 Wheels. I figured it was worth an ask to see the car. They walked me to it and I took some pictures. Against my wife's demand not to get a white Interior (She does not trust me) I said YES. I loved it in the first look. Perfect combo. The delivery guy was really great and got the paperwork done in 30 mins and the car was ready. Keeping in mind that I already drive a model X I did not ask any questions (my bad. I will get to it in a sec). The car was in really great shape. None of the defects I read about. Paint great, Cleaning great, no gaps and nothing falling off. In and out I would say in 45mins.

Here is what I think they should improve keeping in mind that I understand the contact less delivery etc due to covid. They should spend at least 15 mins standing far away explaining the differences and features of a Model Y. They should not just say "your car is ready and the keys are near the center console". I am not picking it up from service. I am buying a new damm 50k+ car. At least give me some courtesy after making me wait almost 3 months. Well not their fault. I should have asked questions and its a Tesla. I was buying technology not luxury (learned that after buying a 100k+ X). You can call me stupid but here are all the things I learned after parking the car in my garage and here are the things I am trying to google for HELP.

What I know that I did not before.
The roof glass was frosted but will still burn you in hot sun.
When you open the door from inside it acts like you are opening an emergency door at a walmart back side.
This car has a Sentry mode which actually works. (I have a 17 X)
This car has a WIRELESS CHARGER FOR MY PHONE. Finally but only on the drivers side. Did not even know that it was an option.
It took me 2 full mins to find the glove box button / on screen button. I mean I looked everywhere.

What I am still waiting to figure out.
Do you change the cabin air filter same way as an Model X or is it any easier.
What other service do you do on a Model Y other than filters and 12v battery.
My X charges faster from my Tesla Wall mount charger (100AMPS) than this Y (is that normal)
Why can't I login to YouTube with my gmail.
Is the AM/FM streaming or is it an actual radio
Is there a USB port other than the front which is connected to the wireless charger.

I am pretty sure more to come but I think my wife is going to be happy if I can do the discovery before she asks any questions. See I like to behave like the know it all. Attached are some pictures.
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (5).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM (6).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 6.23.14 PM.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Fred42 and Watts_Up

Don't know about the X, but it is similar to the 3. You can find videos on YouTube. Nothing too difficult it seems. The filter is in the center bottom part of the dash.

My X charges faster from my Tesla Wall mount charger (100AMPS) than this Y (is that normal)

Yes. The Y can only do 48amps with the hpwc.

Do a search on this forum about logging into Plex via the Ys web browser (using you Google credentials) to get your Google account working in YouTube.

I believe FM exists but not AM.

Is there a USB port other than the front which is connected to the wireless charger.

There should be 1 type c.port that the wireless charger plugs into and 1 USB type a next to it. And the rear console area has 2 USB type c ports.

Mine has wireless charging on both sides but the right side one seems really hard to get right. The left side works fine. Sometimes both my wife and I can charge wirelessly with ease, other times it takes some messing about.

Finally after waiting for almost 3 months I drove in to the local SC and asked them that it was going to be 3 months and I still don't have a VIN. They looked around for about 10 mins and said we have a RED with White/Black do you want it. My original config was Blue on Black with 19 Wheels. I figured it was worth an ask to see the car. They walked me to it and I took some pictures. Against my wife's demand not to get a white Interior (She does not trust me) I said YES. I loved it in the first look. Perfect combo. The delivery guy was really great and got the paperwork done in 30 mins and the car was ready. Keeping in mind that I already drive a model X I did not ask any questions (my bad. I will get to it in a sec). The car was in really great shape. None of the defects I read about. Paint great, Cleaning great, no gaps and nothing falling off. In and out I would say in 45mins.

Here is what I think they should improve keeping in mind that I understand the contact less delivery etc due to covid. They should spend at least 15 mins standing far away explaining the differences and features of a Model Y. They should not just say "your car is ready and the keys are near the center console". I am not picking it up from service. I am buying a new damm 50k+ car. At least give me some courtesy after making me wait almost 3 months. Well not their fault. I should have asked questions and its a Tesla. I was buying technology not luxury (learned that after buying a 100k+ X). You can call me stupid but here are all the things I learned after parking the car in my garage and here are the things I am trying to google for HELP.

What I know that I did not before.
The roof glass was frosted but will still burn you in hot sun.
When you open the door from inside it acts like you are opening an emergency door at a walmart back side.
This car has a Sentry mode which actually works. (I have a 17 X)
This car has a WIRELESS CHARGER FOR MY PHONE. Finally but only on the drivers side. Did not even know that it was an option.
It took me 2 full mins to find the glove box button / on screen button. I mean I looked everywhere.

What other service do you do on a Model Y other than filters and 12v battery.

I am pretty sure more to come but I think my wife is going to be happy if I can do the discovery before she asks any questions. See I like to behave like the know it all. Attached are some pictures.
View attachment 593979 View attachment 593980 View attachment 593981 View attachment 593982 View attachment 593983 View attachment 593984 View attachment 593985
The Red is beautiful. Did they tell you why it was available .Extra inventory or someone didnt accept it ?

You got the exact same config I did... looks great! My wife has a 2015 model S, so there are some new learning on this car:

- the usb drive formatting is very picky. You can have 2 partitions, one for cameras and one for music, but it is unreliable for music (note that it only worked at all if both were exfat format). Even with 2 exfat partitions, music would sometimes disappear or just not leave off at at the last song. Better to get a hub (I've ordered the tapta hub), format a drive for cameras as exfat, format a music drive as fat32. Then everything works all the time. And this car plays flac files up to 24bit/96kHz sample rate reliably. While you don't need that in a car, its easy for me to just copy files over instead of doing a transcode.

- your hub caps will sound like a jet engine fan slowly turning in the wind when driving slow. Its a little embarrassing when driving in the Starbucks drive through to hear the loud clicker clack and see people look at your car to see what's wrong. People on this forum say it will go away over time (maybe enough gunk builds up to hold those plastic pieces in place). I only have had the car for a week, but I have some matte black tsportline rims on order so problem solved.

- I tinted the car with Xpel prime XR+ film. The roof was cooking my head, but now I don't feel anything coming through. Note that I did 35% all around. With the existing 'tint' on the back, its a bit darker than I'd like for rear hatch. We'll see when I try and drive at night if this is a redo situation.

- my detail guy who put a ceramic on the paint said these white seats are very easy to clean with a microfiber cloth and a bit of dish soapy water. They do look great.

Enjoy your car :).