Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No warning blow out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Driving on the freeway at 74. Nothing in the road just BLAM!!

I wonder if this is covered under warranty or if I need to buy a new tire.

DB11F6C7-7AF5-442C-968E-0C5358977D7D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
That looks bad, good you're ok. For modern tires this should be a very unusual event, maybe there was a manufacturing flaw.

Tire warranty isn't there for new vehicle OEM tires unfortunately. On the other hand I think it's worth trying for this specific case.

Read the reviews about these tires on Tirerack - plenty of other cars with this tire having the same problem, and it has been going on for years. That's why I have an appt at my service center to get mine swapped over to Vredesteins. I've personally never had a good experience with Continentals in decades, and I'm concerned with the long-distance driving I do with the family that this will happen and strand us in the middle of nowhere. In the winter. No thank you, Tesla.

That's a bad side-wall blow-out! :eek: How many miles did you have?

Fortunately the tread didn't separate and your wheel well didn't get mangled.

2350 miles. Apparently the tires are special order and a replacement won’t be here until next week. Until then my Modern Spare is filling in so that I can get to work.

I took it to America’s Tires and they will be filing a warranty claim for me.

That happened twice to me with the performance Michelins on my BMW. They were run flats but one blowout was so violent it blew out the sidewall nearly a third of the circumference of the tire leaving the car undrivable. Tell me more about the spare tire you used.

#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model Y | Modern Spare

That's why I have an appt at my service center to get mine swapped over to Vredesteins.

Why Vredesteins? I have never even heard of them.

Last edited:
Good to hear.

Conti makes good tires and side-wall blow-outs are rare. Check your other three tires for side-wall bubbles or damage just in case.

I go to America's Tire as well so I'm glad I can rely on them to help, if needed.

2350 miles. Apparently the tires are special order and a replacement won’t be here until next week. Until then my Modern Spare is filling in so that I can get to work.

I took it to America’s Tires and they will be filing a warranty claim for me.

Read the reviews about these tires on Tirerack - plenty of other cars with this tire having the same problem, and it has been going on for years. That's why I have an appt at my service center to get mine swapped over to Vredesteins. I've personally never had a good experience with Continentals in decades, and I'm concerned with the long-distance driving I do with the family that this will happen and strand us in the middle of nowhere. In the winter. No thank you, Tesla.

Fredsteins....havent heard of them in years, I heard they sold the company. I've had Continentals on all my cars for the last 20 years and never had an issue, good all around tire. Cant see putting Pilots on a car that weighs 2.5 tons, maybe if i were uber wealthy and tracked the car but not a great choice for me

Does this mean you purchased Vredesteins, and you are paying the SC to mount the new tires for you? Didn't realize SC's do tire work, and surprised they would be competitive in price? Or do you not trust a regular tire place to work on the Y? Am seeing several posts recommending the V's for better ride quality. The Y will be my first Tesla, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Does this mean you purchased Vredesteins, and you are paying the SC to mount the new tires for you? Didn't realize SC's do tire work, and surprised they would be competitive in price? Or do you not trust a regular tire place to work on the Y? Am seeing several posts recommending the V's for better ride quality. The Y will be my first Tesla, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Yes, yes, and yes. The car rides and sounds like I purchased a different MY with Vredesteins...just amazing. I called around to local tire chains and private shops before the SC, and was less than impressed...borderline scared of what they would do. None of them even heard about the rubber pads that need to be placed under the body before lifting/jacking. My SC is very good, and they've always gone above and beyond and I've been 100% happy with them. Cost was a little higher, but I'm happy.

Yes, yes, and yes. The car rides and sounds like I purchased a different MY with Vredesteins...just amazing. I called around to local tire chains and private shops before the SC, and was less than impressed...borderline scared of what they would do. None of them even heard about the rubber pads that need to be placed under the body before lifting/jacking. My SC is very good, and they've always gone above and beyond and I've been 100% happy with them. Cost was a little higher, but I'm happy.
BreatheEasier, thanks much for your quick and helpful reply, very kind of you.

Reactions: ArtK