Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA Challenge for Atlanta area drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
My Tesla has always had problems navigating a route from I-85 east to I-285 south. (Called spaghetti junction by the locals.) I'm on 2019.28.2 now and the autopilot still is too scary to be safe in my opinion.

To go from I-85 east to I-285 south, the exit from I-85 has three lanes. The left lane takes you north on I-285. The right lane takes you south on I-285. Cars in the center lane can optionally go either north or south. My car moves into the center exit lane after leaving I-85. It stays in the center lane and starts signaling that it wants to take the south option but waits until the last minute to take the curve to the right. I've never had the courage to let autopilot continue as the concrete divider approaches.

I keep hoping new software will fix this but no luck so far.

Has anyone else tried this route with success?

• Helpful
Reactions: puckpurnell
Just use TACC. I wouldn't use EAP or NOA in Atlanta.
I wanted to edit this to say "I would just use TACC" but it was too late. On hindsight I'm not sure if I would actually do that though - having done many road trips through big cities, I've found that I'm pretty confident with staying in EAP in most cities for the most part. But once the traffic gets heavy and the speed differences get bigger between different lanes, NOA can get in the way - you end up babysitting it too much, it's easier to just make your own decisions about which lane to be in. Your experience may differ!

I wouldn't say that NoA is useless in Atlanta, but since it is a beta product, it needs to be monitored closely. And there are some areas where it is just easier to turn it off.
And yes, during heavy traffic, NoA can have issues, just ask the folks in LA.