Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation sucks from Santa Cruz to Mountain View CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at a loss as to why the navigation is so bad on this stretch of road.

In the morning, heading to Mountain View, there seems to be no reason for the detour. Every morning over the last week my navigation takes me from 17 to exit at Lark and then get on at 85. Each time, I dont believe this is faster than simply taking the 17-85 interchange, so I enter my destination into the planner again and am met with the same result.

So I turn off navigation and take the 17-85 interchange, and watch the estimated to time to work drop by 3-6 minutes. This shows me that once on highway 85, the navigation sees that the estimated time of arrival is sooner. Regardless, each day it has been the same this week, navigating me on a longer path over city streets, than the shorter freeway path.

In the afternoon I take highway 101 briefly, before heading to 85, and then 17 south. However the 2 miles before the 101-85 interchange is always frustrating as the navigation is never in the correct lane.

If I take the leftmost carpool lane, which is a direct shot to 85, the car will freak out and try to exit right as it only recognizes the right exit as a valid pathway to highway 85. If I stay in the middle lanes, it will happily miss the exit, as it thinks any of the 7 right lanes will head to 85, until the last minute. Once I do make it onto 85, the fast-track lane ends about 1.5 miles after the interchange, and the speed limit is set for some reason to 72 mph right as the fast track lane ends.

I co not remember these issues being so bad in my 3, not sure if the newer software of the Y is making some changes to the navigation.

I actually noticed the 17-85 weirdness where it wanted to exit on Lark the other day, too. Ended up ignoring nav, of course.
Every morning I have been cancelling my navigation and noting the time difference.

As I head up 17 north, It will prompt to exit at Lark ave, I ignore it and continue to the 85 interchange.

After I pass Lark, the first re-route is always 17-280N, which I also ignore.

Once I enter the 17 cloverleaf, then the navigation refreshes the arrival time to mountain view. So far over the last 2 weeks it has always been faster to take 85 north directly from 17, but its not more than a 5 minute difference.

Nevertheless, why would it continually route me off the freeway and on a longer trip? The navigation really sucks over the last few months and I am not happy about it. It used to be really reliable, and now I do not know whether to trust it or not.

In the afternoon I take highway 101 briefly, before heading to 85, and then 17 south. However the 2 miles before the 101-85 interchange is always frustrating as the navigation is never in the correct lane.

If I take the leftmost carpool lane, which is a direct shot to 85, the car will freak out and try to exit right as it only recognizes the right exit as a valid pathway to highway 85. If I stay in the middle lanes, it will happily miss the exit, as it thinks any of the 7 right lanes will head to 85, until the last minute. Once I do make it onto 85, the fast-track lane ends about 1.5 miles after the interchange, and the speed limit is set for some reason to 72 mph right as the fast track lane ends.

Make sure your car is set to use carpool lanes, but this may be a side effect of all the express lane nonsense they're doing on 101, and it might think it is already a toll lane. 🤪

Make sure your car is set to use carpool lanes, but this may be a side effect of all the express lane nonsense they're doing on 101, and it might think it is already a toll lane. 🤪
I am certainly set to use carpool lanes, the navigation is just terrible.

Every day I watch the navigation arrival estimate change as I manually navigate away from lark avenue exit, and onto 85 north, as I have taken for years. It is always 3-4 minutes faster to take 85N, but it is still the 3rd choice of the in car navigation.

I always cancel my navigation right before the lark exit, and let the car re-route me if the time has changed. Over and over it has me take surface streets, with a longer arrival time.

It is especially puzzling, as my old Model 3 navigated fine for years.

I am certainly set to use carpool lanes, the navigation is just terrible.

Every day I watch the navigation arrival estimate change as I manually navigate away from lark avenue exit, and onto 85 north, as I have taken for years. It is always 3-4 minutes faster to take 85N, but it is still the 3rd choice of the in car navigation.

I always cancel my navigation right before the lark exit, and let the car re-route me if the time has changed. Over and over it has me take surface streets, with a longer arrival time.

It is especially puzzling, as my old Model 3 navigated fine for years.
I am still experiencing this issue, despite buying g the FSD subscription, and also entering the Beta program.

Each day rather than taking the 17N -> 85N interchange it wants to get off the freeway and take Lark. Each day its about 4 minutes longer to take the surface streets and get back on the freeway.

Now at least I have FSD beta I can send a report every time it happens.

I am still experiencing this issue, despite buying g the FSD subscription, and also entering the Beta program.

Each day rather than taking the 17N -> 85N interchange it wants to get off the freeway and take Lark. Each day its about 4 minutes longer to take the surface streets and get back on the freeway.

Now at least I have FSD beta I can send a report every time it happens.
Several weeks later and the behavior is slightly better.

Now when I approach this intersection, the car still tries to navigate off the freeway at Lark to then get back on the freeway at the next exit. So that problem is still there.

With FSD beta, I will manually disengage as it tries to exit at Lark, and then the navigation will correctly route me to the 17N->85N interchange and show me that I will now get to work 4-5 minutes faster.

FSDb will usually navigate the cloverleaf itself, so this is some progress it seems