Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise From Left Front After Rim Ulgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon....need a little help!

MSLR+ 20 owner with about 7k miles. I upgraded from the 19 stock to tsportline 20, installed at discount tire. I'm noticing a weird sound on slow acceleration and stopping from the front left side. Not rubbing, sounds a creaking metal hinge just as the car begins to move. I've taken it back to discount, they've looked at everything and can't figure it out. I've set the wheel configuration at 19 and 20 and no change. Any idea what it could be?

My next steps are to put the 19's back on to see if the problem persist. Could it have been something discount did? Will the service center install rims? Would love to call and ask them but how I have no luck getting anyone on the phone.

Maybe try to get a recording of it? Is it 100% reproducible? If so what are all the conditions where it will occur?

What you're describing sounds like a suspension, bearing or axle problem. Might be worth checking the torque on the lugnuts. I can't think of anything else related to changing a wheel that might cause a sound like that.

It’s well known the 21 Arachnids cause brake “groaning” sometimes. No clear solution. Perhaps these wheels do the same.

My groaning went away after a careful brake job where everything (pins, slides, etc) was cleaned and lubricated properly.

I can definitely get a recording of this, geat suggestion. I had discount ake the wheel off and put it back on to ensure proper torque but it still persist.

I'd like to take it to Tesla service to get checked out. Do you think I should put on the old rims first? I don't want them to claim its the new wheels when it could be something all together different.

I can definitely get a recording of this, geat suggestion. I had discount ake the wheel off and put it back on to ensure proper torque but it still persist.

I'd like to take it to Tesla service to get checked out. Do you think I should put on the old rims first? I don't want them to claim its the new wheels when it could be something all together different.

I’d try that just to learn from it. And gives them less ammunition to blame you...

creaking sound during start of acceleration is absolutely 1000% axle nut. i would bet my left nut on it. everytime someone brings this up i just refer them to tighten the axle nut, its somewhat of a common issue i think, but only for people that actually care enough to notice it with their windows down. i had it on my 2015, and my uncle had the same one, both i fixed in 2 seconds.

Clicking noise when accelerating
Major clicking (front left?) issue: vid/sound included

Hmmmm...is that something Discount can fix or do I have to take it to service? I have an appointment coming up but would love to avoid surrendering a week of my life waiting for them to get around to it. Probably not something the mobile folks can.

I was told before buying that the Tesla forum was a treasure trove of good info...has yet to dissapoint!

Much obliged..

Hmmmm...is that something Discount can fix or do I have to take it to service? I have an appointment coming up but would love to avoid surrendering a week of my life waiting for them to get around to it. Probably not something the mobile folks can.

I was told before buying that the Tesla forum was a treasure trove of good info...has yet to dissapoint!

Much obliged..

any mechanic can tighten an axle nut. You just need the torque specification. If you don’t have an “Indy” mechanic you know, Tesla service may be the easiest.

spec used to be 180 ft-lbs (axle nut, not lug nuts!)

Reactions: TK16688
creaking sound during start of acceleration is absolutely 1000% axle nut. i would bet my left nut on it. everytime someone brings this up i just refer them to tighten the axle nut, its somewhat of a common issue i think, but only for people that actually care enough to notice it with their windows down. i had it on my 2015, and my uncle had the same one, both i fixed in 2 seconds.

Clicking noise when accelerating
Major clicking (front left?) issue: vid/sound included
Quick update...they sent a mobile tech out to service today and you were right, left and right axle nuts were lubed and now I'm back in business. You and your boys are safe!

On another note I know we often bash Tesla service but I have been impressed with the mobile units. I had a few small cosmetic issues that the service center fixed after delivery...that service was not on par with my previous dealings from Cadillac. But other than that its been ok...particularly with this service.

Thanks again everyone for pointing me in the right direction.