Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise reduction rear areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mike123abc I'm working on the trunk area right now and I have a question about the square clip at the top where the rear seat side bolsters clip into. They look like they need to be removed to get the side of the trunk felt out. I also broke them when removing the side bolsters. How did you handle that clip/area?

Also did you do behind the trunk lid as well? I found the area very difficult to apply sound dampening to because of the narrow holes in the sheet metal which was super sharp. Also broke most of the blue clips there :(

Square clips for the bolsters can stay put to get the lining out __if__ you have enough play in the lining it off and over the square clip. More often than not, the clips don't come out with the bolsters and get stuck. See my pic where lining was.able to go over the clip despite being stuck.

However it's very difficult to get the bolsters back in without removing the square clip and reattaching it to the bolster.... So to save time and hassle, just remove the stuck square clip.

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_130123__01.jpg
    IMG_20200430_130123__01.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Square clips for the bolsters can stay put to get the lining out __if__ you have enough play in the lining it off and over the square clip. More often than not, the clips don't come out with the bolsters and get stuck. See my pic where lining was.able to go over the clip despite being stuck.

However it's very difficult to get the bolsters back in without removing the square clip and reattaching it to the bolster.... So to save time and hassle, just remove the stuck square clip.
Did you add the foam in the picture on the passenger c pillar and under the rear deck or was that already there? I've finished up the trunk but I have a rattle/buzz coming from somewhere around the c-pillar triangle window and I'm also going to do the rear deck to hopefully quiet it a bit more.

That gray foam block is part of the car! One block on the left and one on the right. Munro even found it on the MY! Skip to 8:45 in video

However Munro doesn't mention about it on the M3. I wonder if it was something they added to later builds. My car was a June 2019 build.

Here's a better view of the foam block on the right hand side.

View attachment 541955
I did see this on Munro's teardown but my 6/18 doesn't have any foam blocks. I've just bought some foam to cover the rear deck cutout so I'll stick some in these areas as well. Can't hurt!