Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mudflap Failures, Getting Flexible Ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten two sets of mudflaps, both of which have had the front ones break off. These and some from Gledewen that are no longer available.

The Basenor ones get good reviews, but I want something flexible and am considering these:

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 2.45.36 PM.jpg

Comments?

Yup any flaps that overlap with the fender/rocker will cause damage or result in discoloration, even if you use ppf under them. Its just the nature of these things when combined with dust dirt sand etc that gets under them and mechanically rubs against the paint.

This is why if you're going to install spalsh/mud flaps, best to get ones that dont hug the body and stay flush in the fender/wheel wells.

I noticed also that the flaps I've had on there caused damage to the paint.

View attachment 950119

Yup any flaps that overlap with the fender/rocker will cause damage or result in discoloration, even if you use ppf under them. Its just the nature of these things when combined with dust dirt sand etc that gets under them and mechanically rubs against the paint.

This is why if you're going to install spalsh/mud flaps, best to get ones that dont hug the body and stay flush in the fender/wheel wells.

it’s not uncommon for those types of guards to cause that damage, which is why some of them like the Tesbro kits come with PPF. There has been instances where some users say they’ve eaten thru the PPF. When you install them and notice there are some manufacturer tolerances that leave some high spots, take some sand paper or file and knock down those high spots….which is usually the spots where you see yours has the damage. Some flaps just wrap around that corner too tight. It only adds a few minutes to the install, and along with the ppf will ABSOLUTELY NOT cause damage. I did that to the flaps on my car…installed custom ppf because it wasn’t a thing when any of them started being sold. 4 northeast winters later, 66k miles, driving through nasty salt conditions to ski resorts. I keep an eye on it and am prepared to replace the ppf if need be. There are marks where it contacts the ppf…but it has not eaten/worn away the ppf. I’m confident I won’t ever have to replace the ppf at all. If the PPF isn’t worn through there is ZERO damage to the paint.

you can go with the flaps that don’t wrap around the edge…..but IMO these look better/sleeker. The smaller ones don’t look as bad…but they don’t provide enough protection to the side of the car. The rockers, lower part of front door and front of rear wheel well.….get ALOT of sandblasting on these cars. I had no issues running rally armour flaps on my wrx….but thats just not the look I want to run on my model 3.

I’m an enthusiast detailer and am meticulous about keeping my paint swirl free…nevertheless free from damage to the paint. But use my car to the fullest…multiple ski trips a year and mountain biking!

IMG_1971.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_2696.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Perscitus