Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy fan behind dash panel cover/front cabin temp sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a humming buzz sound appear recently. Located it to be coming from behind the little panel above the wireless charging dock under the front display. 23k miles is there anything I can do to make this go away or do I just need to replace the part ? Would Tesla do it under warranty ? Fan makes a constant buzzing noise like a computer fan and never shuts off.

Attachments

• 84F36FB7-235D-438C-85D1-1BCFE7574A09.jpeg
    84F36FB7-235D-438C-85D1-1BCFE7574A09.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 401
  • EA01F9C9-2A26-41FB-AEF7-A36E22664185.jpeg
    EA01F9C9-2A26-41FB-AEF7-A36E22664185.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 187
Had a humming buzz sound appear recently. Located it to be coming from behind the little panel above the wireless charging dock under the front display. 23k miles is there anything I can do to make this go away or do I just need to replace the part ? Would Tesla do it under warranty ? Fan makes a constant buzzing noise like a computer fan and never shuts off.
Had the same issue and they replaced it. The new one is the same. Did you happen to get a quiet one with your replacement?

There are some old posts about the HVAC blower motor and/or air valve actuators going bad on vintage 3s.
Fairly easy to get in there and replace either by SC/MS or personally if out of warranty.

One way to try and replicate is to play with the fan control GUI and route the air onto the windshield vs footwells vs cabin and combinations thereof.

If you leave it on one setting for a bit with the fan at 4-6 and then switch it to another, you should hear gear grinding/chirping noises if the actuator is bad.

If the fan motor is going, you will notice it having difficulty ramping up or down from say 2 to 10 and back. Or being unable to ramp up beyond 4.

I just had my entire HVAC unit under the dash replaced to fix weird noises. A gear in an actuator was skipping during power-on calibration. The SC did an amazing job of not damaging anything or causing rattles during the removal of the dash and HVAC.

They replaced the sensor. It’s only a tiny bit better. So I guess that’s just the characteristics of the car :(
Did they replace under warranty or out of pocket?

It seems quite noticeable to me when the car is stationary and no music is playing. I still wonder if there are different vendors for this part and some are quiet or quieter.