Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla Charging Stations Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bunch of "non Tesla" charge stations within a couple mile radius from where I live but over the past month 4 out of 5 were out of order(and all 4 were from different companies/organizations...Charge Point, EVGo,local municipality etc.) . One of them is a high speed DC and I ran into a couple in a Bolt from out of state and they were stuck using a Level 2 charger after trying a bunch of "out of order" charge stations adding many unintended hours to their trip.

Having driven all over the East Coast using Tesla SCs I can't imagine relying on the current "non Tesla" charging infrastructure.

What's the deal with lack of maintenance on all these other charge stations?

IMHO it's about how much you care about actual results vs. appearances.

Tesla puts multiple chargers at every site for a reason, and monitors them. EVs can't take over if they leave people stranded all over the place from downtime. Sure, they could make the map look denser with single-charger locations, and save money by not maintaining them well. But that undercuts the long-term goal.

The non-Tesla chargers around here seem to be pretty hit or miss. The ones at the Tacoma Mall seem to go down every other week. A few of the older chargepoint chargers are very difficult to get the handle to release. Lately, the Tesla super chargers around here have been sporadic in performance and Telsa has been slow to repair/maintain them. Luckily, my main charging location -- has the most basic looking charger -- but it always works!
upload_2017-8-16_8-44-52.png