Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla EV charging at supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what are the CCS superchargers in Europe? Are they actually CCS and just refusing to charge cars that are not on the Tesla system, or did they use a proprietary protocol?

Because if it's the former it shouldn't be too hard to spoof being a Tesla.

So what are the CCS superchargers in Europe? Are they actually CCS and just refusing to charge cars that are not on the Tesla system, or did they use a proprietary protocol?

Because if it's the former it shouldn't be too hard to spoof being a Tesla.
Little bit of both. IIRC it is actually CCS Type 2, but checks to make sure vehicle is Tesla. As long as the site relies on the car to be truthful, it can be spoofed, but if it is a connected site and actually phones home....

Could be. I am googling this and I see loads of spoof pictures and stories of non Tesla's 'using' Super Chargers. I tried googling "eGolf Supercharger" to see if I happened upon someone making a spoof video/photo. Turns out this was not the first eGolf to plug into a SC

I haven't read through all 100 replies but just wanted to let you know, since you don't speak Spanish, that this YouTuber is stating that his car will *NOT* take a charge, although the connectors used in Spain are the same (Type 2 as he states).

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I haven't read through all 100 replies but just wanted to let you know, since you don't speak Spanish, that this YouTuber is stating that his car will *NOT* take a charge, although the connectors used in Spain are the same (Type 2 as he states).

that was kind of my point. They could just be making a spoof video and not charging.

Since this thread was revived - I never did hear anything from reporting this to Tesla.

Reactions: 0ptions
Honestly, Tesla had the chance to set the Tesla plug as the standard for DC fast charging in north america if they just made it a open source standard like CCS.

I do not get individuals ambivalence towards the supposed individual that somehow manged to to get his e-golf to "supercharge". If he did he deserves a reward for making it possible in the first place and i'm sure Tesla may end up hiring him or giving him a reward given their hacking precedents.

If for example such a system is used for a Tesla Roadster, which I remind you started Tesla. Would you be complaining? Tesla could have made such a conversion possible when they made the updated pack for the roadster, but they chose not to. Instead a company has retrofitted them with something called "jademo" ie chademo, which uses similar communication standards as tesla's supercharger.

I think Tesla's superchargers SHOULD charge other EVs. I think it would be a big help toward getting more people interested dropping their ICE cars if they know there are more and better options to charge them, especially if they live in areas that don't have many options. Maybe Tesla could make it where other EVs charge at a slower rate, or they would have to pay like twice as much?

• Disagree
Reactions: Stirfelt
I think Tesla's superchargers SHOULD charge other EVs. I think it would be a big help toward getting more people interested dropping their ICE cars if they know there are more and better options to charge them, especially if they live in areas that don't have many options. Maybe Tesla could make it where other EVs charge at a slower rate, or they would have to pay like twice as much?

Tesla has offered this to other manufacturers. They have to buy into the network though.

The problem here really is Tesla. Chargepoint for example has in the past expressed interest in making a charger that has all three standards Tesla, CCS and chadamo and capabilities for up to 400kw. Chargepoint has even in the past used a Tesla plug and was asked by Tesla to have the prototype destroyed. For all intents and purposed Tesla's standard could be used by a automaker and dc fast charger makers if Tesla would allow the production of such units.

In other words Tesla should be working with EVGO, chargepoint and plug in america. By making it possible to buy a DC fast charging station that does Tesla, CCS and Chademo. Although chademo is for all intents and purposes a dead standard.
Chargepoint CEO Pasquale Romano shows off 400kW charging station, answers questions about Tesla adapter

Chargepoint announces 400 kW charging, adds 100 miles of electric vehicle range in less than 15 minutes

It’s a noble idea, given current constraints not sure how I would feel waiting in line behind non Tesla’s.. especially if on a road trip and needing a charge. That said having them charge slower would be worse for all because it would increase congestion. If you do a road trip through ca the congestion can be pretty brutal already with Tesla’s alone. And that was prior to the huge production ramp. Maybe things will ease up with V3 supercharging.

I think automakers realize they need to compete with this “moat” so things like electrify America will continue to improve.

Little bit of both. IIRC it is actually CCS Type 2, but checks to make sure vehicle is Tesla. As long as the site relies on the car to be truthful, it can be spoofed, but if it is a connected site and actually phones home....

Seems like if you could make the car send a VIN from a Tesla with free supercharging enabled you might get a charge.

Seems like if you could make the car send a VIN from a Tesla with free supercharging enabled you might get a charge.

Might work, might not. The Supercharger could do several things with that VIN:

1. It could simply spot-check the VIN to make sure it looks like a Tesla VIN. e.g. Make sure it starts with "5YJ" for example. This would prevent most vehicles other than Teslas from charging, but could be easily defeated by using a randomly generated, but Telsa-looking VIN.

2. It could actually check the VIN against a known database of Tesla vehicles. Thus, you need a legitimate Tesla VIN to charge. This could also be defeated with VIN cloning.

3. If they really wanted to make it impossible, the Supercharger could ask the mothership the location of the car whose VIN you sent. If the car's location doesn't come back as located at that very Supercharger, then it doesn't allow you to charge.

I don't know if Superchargers are doing any of these operations with the VIN, or even if they have the capability of doing do. #1 seems straightforward, that's simply something the supercharger can easily do in firmware as part of the charging procedure. #2 and #3 are a bit more complex as they probably require real-time communication with Tesla. I know at least some Supercharger sites have some type of communication with Tesla, but I don't know if it's all sites, and I don't know if it's real time.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
If it worked like HDCP in Bluray players and TV type devices, they would maintain a list of "blacklisted" device that are banned from using the system.
HDCP has a "revocation list" feature...
https://www.embedded.com/print/4013458
HDCP also supports a key revocation mechanism that is designed to prevent content from being transmitted to known hacked devices. If any part of authentication fails or any revoked devices are found in the HDCP tree, the transmitter must stop sending protected content...

So perhaps Telsa would have a way to tell the superchargers to stop providing charging to certain VINs that they decided are no longer worthy?

The Walmart in my town just installed chargers. Not sure if others are following, but it's a great idea.
Several Mavericks in Utah have installed chargers as well.

Rather than utilize chargers that Tesla funded ... restaurants, motels, service stations, grocery stores, and others will eventually install chargers. ...... anywhere the driver will be stopped for a short period of time.