Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla EVSE causing 12v failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else ever heard of or seen Tesla blame 12v battery failures on using a aftermarket EVSE with their car? Recently I've been experiencing problems with the 12v in my car and other random electrical errors, at first Tesla blamed it on the aftermarket audio (which I've posted about here) but as of the past few weeks there has been ~5 people in my building who have coincidentally experienced 12v battery failures.

The culprit (as Tesla is claiming) is our condo EVSE plugs, something to do with constant AC power in the EVSE causing the HV connector to not close and therefore not top-up/charge the 12v battery (see below).

While I don't disagree the EVSE may be a problem, I'm skeptical that is the only issue. We've had these EVSE plugs in our building for almost a year now, but it is only within the past month or two where we have experienced these 12v failures. The weird part is, some of us had our 12v's replaced by Tesla only to have it fail again in less than a month.

Is there something in a recent firmware update that may be causing a conflict with our EVSE plugs? Is it the timing of cold winter weather and a bad batch of 12v's? I don't understand how so many of us are suddenly experiencing this problem that seemingly came out of nowhere. Really curious to see if this is a wider spread issue or is a complete one-off with our condo's EVSE plugs.

PS: We have the Hubbell HBLEV30BHW installed in our building. So far, none of the other non Tesla EVs have had any complaints.