Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

non Tesla Pirelli on 20" Uberturbine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I read a number of years ago when I took delivery of my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance that the Tesla provided Pirelli's are the only tyres that should and can be fitted to the 20" Uberturbine.
my question: is this a clever marketing ploy as they stated things like tyre blow out could happen with any other tyre but the Pirelli, or have people changed to other tyres and been fine ?
I ask as firstly, the Pirelli isn't cheap, but also from a safety concern that if this is true and other tyres do "blow out" then I certainly do not want that happening doing 100km/h on a freeway.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
*searched the forum but could not find the answer, apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

tyre blow out could happen with any other tyre
I’d be surprised if Tesla released any literature in Au that said that, unless it specifically called out in relation to not using an EV load rated tyre which are not spec’d to handle the load of the EV.

Agree with @Onshore that any tyre that is the same size and spec (or better) can be used. It is important that the spec includes ALL the numbers including load rating. Often manufacturers will market a specific tyre with EV and it has the load rating and sometimes other features (such as interior foam - which should not interfere with TMPS).

Most reputable tyre dealers will provide proper guidance. As a TOCA member, I find Jax store in Philip in Canberra, very helpful.

With my tyres over many decades in performance cars, I always go with the addage “you get what you pay for”. Quality tyres do cost more… but do shop around as there are good prices to be had out there.
Beware of “grey imports” that are usually really cheap found through some online channels or small shops though as they can be old tyres that have been in storage past their “used by date” so grip and other characteristics are poor. Rubber degrades over time when not being used.

Good hunting!