Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob : what outlet should I buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bad advice here is astounding me.

to answer your question, assuming you are buying a Tesla, have your electrician wire up a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That will take 2 slots in your panel, much like your AC.

All Tesla cars come with a portable connector that includes 14-50 plug and a normal 120v wall plug l. Any of the other plugs/adaptors will cost you extra.

Or, if you decide to buy the Tesla wall charger, which costs extra, you can wire that up directly in Lieu of an outlet. However, be aware that wall charger will be useless except for charging a Tesla.

I recommend people start with 14-50, as it is lowest cost option.

Tesla no longer includes the 14-50 plug with the mobile connector and you need to purchase it separately for $35.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The bad advice here is astounding me.
Yes, like right here in your own comment.
All Tesla cars come with a portable connector that includes 14-50 plug and a normal 120v wall plug l. Any of the other plugs/adaptors will cost you extra.
Tesla stopped including the 14-50 plug with their cars about a year ago. You didn't know that apparently, so you're giving bad information/advice. So any kind of plug will cost extra, so there isn't any default reason to choose 14-50 at first over another type of outlet, so it's better to start from what someone's electrical situation is, see what size circuit they can fit, and decide from there.

Yes, either of those would work fine depending on whether you have a 6-30 or an L6-30. The L6 is the twist-lock version. But note that Tesla doesn't make those adapters - the EVSEAdapter guy buys genuine Tesla adapters, takes them apart, and puts a new plug on them. This keeps the temperature-sensing circuitry intact so the adapter still backs off on the amperage if it gets too hot. Ordinarily I think people steer clear of third-party adapters but EVSEAdapters seem to be the exception because they maintain the sensor functionality.

So, if you're installing a new outlet like the OP is, and you want to put in a 30A outlet for whatever reason, you would just put in a 14-30 and buy the genuine adapter from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: NuttyM3 and Rocky_H
Yes, like right here in your own comment.

Tesla stopped including the 14-50 plug with their cars about a year ago. You didn't know that apparently, so you're giving bad information/advice. So any kind of plug will cost extra, so there isn't any default reason to choose 14-50 at first over another type of outlet, so it's better to start from what someone's electrical situation is, see what size circuit they can fit, and decide from there.
Ok, well they did for my 3 Tesla’s. I’d still get a 14-50 and splurge $35 for the adapter.

I would not put in an outlet for which Tesla doesn’t make an adapter. Wouldn’t want finger pointing if cable burnt out.

I would not put in an outlet for which Tesla doesn’t make an adapter. Wouldn’t want finger pointing if cable burnt out.
OK, but you know that Tesla does make other plugs than just the 14-50, right? I checked their online store, and they sell 8 different adapter plugs. Yes, I agree that it would be preferable to pick one of those 8 types of outlets, so you get to use a cheaper and original Tesla plug with it. And that is what we are suggesting generally. The 6-50 or 14-30 are very common outlet types that someone might choose for good reasons, and Tesla sells plugs for those.

But really, the products from EVSEAdapters are really high quality that a lot of us here have good experience with, so I would trust and recommend something from them over something completely unknown.

Reactions: NuttyM3
OK, but you know that Tesla does make other plugs than just the 14-50, right? I checked their online store, and they sell 8 different adapter plugs. Yes, I agree that it would be preferable to pick one of those 8 types of outlets, so you get to use a cheaper and original Tesla plug with it. And that is what we are suggesting generally. The 6-50 or 14-30 are very common outlet types that someone might choose for good reasons, and Tesla sells plugs for those.

But really, the products from EVSEAdapters are really high quality that a lot of us here have good experience with, so I would trust and recommend something from them over something completely unknown.
I stand corrected on my assertion that Tesla ship with 15-40. However, until they stopped ~ a year ago, all of them DID. So, the vast majority of the cumulative hours use of the charging cable has been with 14-50 adaptor.

the question the OP originally posted was about how to configure an existing, unused outlet box for charging. So there’s no special case like sharing with a dryer or a spot welder :confused: So I stick with recommendation that lowest cost, highest charge rate, and most reliable time tested answer is a NEMA 14-50 outlet and Tesla charging cable (included) plus $35 adaptor.

I’ll give myself 40 lashes over not knowing they stopped shipping the adaptor. :oops:
As I read the original post, i don’t think the OP is an aspiring electrician or a DIYer. Just someone looking for a simple answer, not “it depends”.