Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoPo batt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV_de

Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47
Jun 11, 2009
Germany, IN
NoPoPO - The Battery that Runs on Water

http://waterbattery.com/
http://www.japantrendshop.com/nopopo-eco-waterpowered-aa-batteries-p-546.html

It's called NoPoPO and it stands for No Pollution Power. The first totally Eco Friendly battery that runs on Water. It's rechargable and completely recyclable.

One of the latest advancements by the Japanese in battery technology.
It is a battery that runs off of regular drinking water, or almost any other water based liquid for that matter.
Don't think of it as a battery, but rather as a small electric generator.
The battery has a shelf life of 20 years, and can be recharged or "Re-Filled" up to 5 times.
Each battery has the ability to produce 1.5 volts @ 500mA of current on just a few drops of water.
When the battery runs down and no longer produces the required current, simply add a few drops of water and "Presto" you are back to like new again with full power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conservation of energy still holds. The only way to get energy out of a battery is to put energy into it.

In a manner of speaking, lead acid batteries work on water. You still have to put energy in to get energy out, but you also put water in to replenish the electrolyte.

My Roadster runs on water power. Rain falls in the mountains, runs downhill to the Columbia. Dams use the water and gravity to make electricity. Wires bring it to my house, and I put it in my car. As long as that big thermonuclear power plant in the sky keeps shining, and we don't screw up the climate enough to stop it from raining in the Pacific Northwest, I'll have water power for my car. Thermonuclear power to drive the rain cycle is the key.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A water-activated battery is a disposable reserve battery that does not contain an electrolyte and hence produces no voltage until it is soaked in water for several minutes.
Fair enough. But in that case, it's useless for EVs. Are you really going to carry fifty kilos of extra battery weight plus a few gallons of water, just for those rare times when you are foolish enough to run out of juice?

This technology would be useful only in very high-value applications where power is critical and you anticipate running out occasionally. With a car, all you have to do is plan your routes. And with only five uses, this battery will be far too expensive for more than extremely rare use.

You still have to recharge this battery between uses, so why not just have a bigger pack in the car to begin with and save some range as a buffer? In fact, that's what the Roadster does if you operate it in Standard mode.