Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-grid frequency shifting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enphase has a white paper specifically for PowerWalls. I think all interaction between IQs and PWs should be controlled by profile, not firmware itself. Enphase has plenty of standard profiles with different curves and delays for frequency shifts. It is also possible to create custom profile but I did not figure our procedure for it.

I am surprised that 1 PW was approved for this size PV system. PW has a clear stated charge limit and unless PV branches can be split I do not see how PW can protect itself from taking too much charging current fast enough.
I did an off grid test with my system the other day and I let the frequency got up to 64HZ and the Powerwall+ shut off the solar but the Enphase did not do any curtailment at all. I need to call Enphase to see if I can get them to take action or give me control so I can try and figure it out.

Last edited:
You can request Tesla support to alter the off-grid frequency of the powerwalls/gateway. For me, it was to sort out off-grid and my UPSs switching on due to the frequency shift to 65hz. I contacted through chat support, and within a week they had altered. They did not tell me what they altered to, I plan to test that this weekend.

You can request Tesla support to alter the off-grid frequency of the powerwalls/gateway. For me, it was to sort out off-grid and my UPSs switching on due to the frequency shift to 65hz. I contacted through chat support, and within a week they had altered. They did not tell me what they altered to, I plan to test that this weekend.
I think the Tesla part went well it slowly upped the frequency my problem was the Enphase IQ7+ did not respond.

Yep, I concur. Maybe it is possible to find out from Enphase what the frequency cut-off is and alter Tesla's vs Enphase to match? Best case is Enphase allows you access or alters to match Tesla's. but as a backup perhaps the other way around would work.

I think the Tesla part went well it slowly upped the frequency my problem was the Enphase IQ7+ did not respond.
I would reach out to Enphase to see why. Their IQ7s are perfectly capable of this and can do so. (Mine do) My guess is that the wrong grid profile is in effect on the Enphase system, but to my knowledge, that is not a consumer adjustable item.

Keep us posted please!

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Matt-FL
To find out what the max off-grid frequency shift is, go to: https://<IP Address>/api/site_info and look for:

JSON:
"grid_code_overrides":[{"name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max","value":2}]

The value shown is the amount over 60Hz. In this example, 2 means 62Hz.

I called Enphase before my Tesla system was operational and the person I spoke with told me the profile I have would support frequency shifting and after testing on my own I see that is not the case. I will call them again and see how far I can get. I did complete their training under a different email address so technically they should give me access if I ask even though I don't remember anything about grid profiles in the training. I will report back once I have a chance to talk to them.

Most likely your iQ7's were left with the default grid profile that does not support proportional frequency-watt control. Ask your installer or if you have installer access to change to a grid profile that does (e.g. CA Rule 21).
My Enphase was installed over 2 years ago I doubt I would get support from my installer.
To find out what the max off-grid frequency shift is, go to: https://<IP Address>/api/site_info and look for:

JSON:

Thanks for the info I can give this a try when I get home.

JSON:

Mine shows 2.5, that's great to know how to find it!

"grid_code_overrides": [
{
"name": "soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
"value": 2.5
}
]

Reactions: FireFighterHil

JSON:

This is great info, thanks for sharing @power.saver !

JSON:

This did not work for me I get connection refused. I know I used the correct ip because I can see the gateway home screen in a browser.

I did manage to get someone from Enphase to change the grid profile after he talked to his team when telling me I needed to tell him what to change it. I will post the link he emailed me although it does not show me anything because I probably don't have access the text shows AC Coupling FW83pct/Hz PEL 100W REC300s Enphase Energy - Enlighten | Sign in to Enlighten

I did not have much solar after the Enphase change and the Powerwalls we're at 98% is it normal for the Powerwalls+ to shut the inverter off so quickly?
IMG_20230920_172514861.jpg

PG&E was doing a utility pole replacement, so I had some fun experimenting with my Enphase solar and Powerwalls.
I also wonder if there are some kind of workarounds - for example, we could increase the house consumption to 3 kWs during daytime.
It was a sunny day and my batteries were filling up fast, so I cranked the A/C to slow down the charging and make use of excess solar that would otherwise be curtailed. So, yes, you can increase consumption to keep your panels from being disabled.

Eventually, my Powerwalls did fill up and it started curtailing by gradually ramping the AC frequency, but I was surprised at how sensitive my Enphase IQ7As were to frequency changes, it only took a few tenths of a Hz to shut them down (according to my APC UPS).

You can see on the solar graph a nice smooth sunny day go crazy around Noon with the curtailment.
IMG_2111.jpeg

The Powerwalls filling around Noon.
IMG_2112.jpeg

And me cranking the A/C to keep the panels busy.
IMG_2113.jpeg

My Enphase was installed over 2 years ago I doubt I would get support from my installer.
If your installer won't do small changes after only 2 years then you should definitely get installer access info from them to avoid being locked out in the long term.

I did manage to get someone from Enphase to change the grid profile after he talked to his team when telling me I needed to tell him what to change it. I will post the link he emailed me although it does not show me anything because I probably don't have access the text shows AC Coupling FW83pct/Hz PEL 100W REC300s Enphase Energy - Enlighten | Sign in to Enlighten
Do you export to the grid? That grid profile does have proportional frequency-watt curtailment but also limits export to grid.

If your installer won't do small changes after only 2 years then you should definitely get installer access info from them to avoid being locked out in the long term.

Do you export to the grid? That grid profile does have proportional frequency-watt curtailment but also limits export to grid.
Yes I can export to the grid although I don't get paid much for it. Can you tell me what kind of export limitations it has? The guy yesterday said the only way I can get access to my system is to pay for Enlighten that since I did not do the install I can not have access through the Tool Kit app. My concern is if I pay for Enlighten they will still limit what I can do with it.

Yes I can export to the grid although I don't get paid much for it. Can you tell me what kind of export limitations it has? The guy yesterday said the only way I can get access to my system is to pay for Enlighten that since I did not do the install I can not have access through the Tool Kit app. My concern is if I pay for Enlighten they will still limit what I can do with it.
Not surprised Enphase asked you to pay for Enlighten. It's one of the stupid things they do. It's another reason why you need to get installer access from your installer. Installers get full access to Enlighten and your Envoy for free. So, installers get more access and control of your system than you the actual owner. To change grid profile you only need installer access to your iQ Envoy/Gateway locally with the installer toolkit app. Enlighten would not help much.

Need to look at the detail description of the grid profile for more info on the export limits. However, export limiting grid profiles generally reduce solar power production to ensure export stays below a set threshold.

Frankly, I am not sure you have the necessary background to do this on your own. It might be best to convince your installer to do it for you.

Well I received the answer to how much would the grid profile allow to export and it looks like nothing. I called Enphase again and they switched my grid profile to Louisiana-IQ PW2 with no link to the profile from this person but the solar is back to working and I will have to see what it does off grid.

This is a report for a profile that I am using for my system:

ISO-NE 2018​

Parameter NameValue
VOLTAGE LIMITS
Over voltage disconnectTimeMagnitude
Limit (fast)160 ms144.00 V
Limit (slow)2,000 ms132.00 V
Under voltage disconnectTimeMagnitude
Limit (fast)1,100 ms60.00 V
Limit (slow)2,000 ms105.60 V
Reconnect voltageMagnitude