Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NorCal to Socal range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am not a Tesla owner (yet), energy consumption holds true for both electric and gas (more throttle = more usage).

For me, I have found that between 152 and the grapevine, I will typically not get the normal range for my car (esp if I am driving a car that goes into boost). Also, I tend to drive faster than normal on the 5 - usually because the road is wide open - but, also, trying to get to the destination as quickly as possible.

I've got an old MS85 here and charge 4 times going from Newport Beach to Napa. Only takes me 3 charges going back home. Not sure if the energy consumption is drastically different, but my situation is very different. I'm typically in a rush to get out of LA/Grapevine before traffic gets nasty (can add another 2hrs if done incorrectly) and typically charge for no more than 30 minutes unless I'm stopping for a meal/shopping/site-seeing. I like to get to my destination with at least 60% SOC so that might be why I do one extra charge. Coming home I take my time and try to avoid the evening traffic through LA; I also don't mind getting home with a low SOC since I've got a level 2 charger.

One other thing is that I tend to get stuck in more traffic coming south and that probably helps with efficiency since I'm driving slowing and spending more time at the chargers to rest a little longer.