Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid: max miles decreased 333->312 for last 2 months.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2y old 24k miles MSP 21".

What I'm observing it's rapid "degradation" in projected max miles. 2 months ago it was like ~333-335, according to teslammate. This degradation was slow from 348 till 333 for 2 years. Now in 2 months it lost 25 miles or 7%. Projected range keep getting lower. It's Socal, car garaged all the time, weather should not have such impact.

Is there any correlation within recent update for EPA for plaid 21? where EPA down to 320 miles ?
Do you think tesla correct projected range under new EPA or it's something goes wrong ?

The EPA change was for 2024 model year vehicles that are retested. It has zero effect on prior-year vehicles (and has no functional effect on new cars either, just the test changed so the EPA range number went down slightly). The actual range did not change.

I thought Tesla even stated the EPA change has no effect on all prior model year cars, but I can't put my hands on that statement or source.

Are there any battery-related or BMS error messages?

You could run the Battery Health test from the service menu.

I wouldn't expect a balancing problem to lose that much range, but I'd at least go through the process - discharge to under 20% SOC, charge to 100%, and see what the range shows. Look at it within a few hours of reaching 100%.

I was doubt either EPA 2024 propagates to previous year cars (they technically are the same). OK, it might not be a case, because I do not see any related threads here.
I charged car to 100% few weeks ago, I did not help. Will try charge to 100% and keep it for few hours.
Otherwise, there is ongoing issue.

I have 2y old 24k miles MSP 21".

What I'm observing it's rapid "degradation" in projected max miles. 2 months ago it was like ~333-335, according to teslammate. This degradation was slow from 348 till 333 for 2 years.

333 miles is about spot on what to expect after two years in a average climate when using 70-90% as the daily charging level.
So at that point all was fine.

BMS:es loose track of the capacity from time to time. Without any more data avsilable the suggestion from vcor is the way to go. The issue in that case would be that the BMS estimates the wrong capacity, and a ”BMS Calibration” might help the BMS to recover the estimation.

I had my M3P BMS loose track on the estimerate and it was about 4% below the real capacity. I made a 100-0% drive and the battery delivered energy according to the 4% underestimation.

Otherwise, you should not expect to loose more than about 0.3% or ~1 mile during these two months when you had the 333 to 312 dip.

Now in 2 months it lost 25 miles or 7%. Projected range keep getting lower. It's Socal, car garaged all the time, weather should not have such impact.
How did you notice the drop, and the current range? A third party app or by charging full?

I'd also point out that you never fully trust the "projected" range if it's not 0% or 100%. What I mean is don't project possible range loss when you charge 80% (or any other level every day). There are several reasons why it may be lower than normal. As it is a calculation, Tesla purposely lets it drift downwards until a calibration (going to 100% SOC). This is a lot safer than having it drift upwards.

yeah… charged twice till 100% and sleep for few hours - zero changes. Range 313 miles, same as was projected at different soc.
Now 50% soc and teslamate reports 314miles…

I’m using teslamate, so I know trend of max range during last two years.
Waiting till car have 10% to repeat procedure.

yeah… charged twice till 100% and sleep for few hours - zero changes. Range 313 miles, same as was projected at different soc.
Now 50% soc and teslamate reports 314miles…

I’m using teslamate, so I know trend of max range during last two years.
Waiting till car have 10% to repeat procedure.
Let it sleep for at least a few hours at or below 10% with no sentry mode and no app peaking.
Endure teslamate does not disturb the sleeep.