Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North American Supercharger design fail continues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Earth
Given the likelihood of Tesla opening up Superchargers to other brands in the US at some point, why are they still deploying so many with the pedestals parallel to the rear curb? It seems that almost all new European stalls are pull-through design, which makes it easier for other brands to charge without blocking multiple stalls at once.

Where are you getting your information about new superchargers? Most superchargers I’ve used aren’t brand new, but I did use a brand new one yesterday that had the side-mounted stalls (but not pull through), and that’s the first one I‘ve seen like that.

Given the likelihood of Tesla opening up Superchargers to other brands in the US at some point, why are they still deploying so many with the pedestals parallel to the rear curb? It seems that almost all new European stalls are pull-through design, which makes it easier for other brands to charge without blocking multiple stalls at once.
If Tesla is smart they’ll keep the system closed and rapidly expanding while starving out their BEV competitors with price cuts.

Where are you getting your information about new superchargers? Most superchargers I’ve used aren’t brand new, but I did use a brand new one yesterday that had the side-mounted stalls (but not pull through), and that’s the first one I‘ve seen like that.
Tesla posts all the new Superchargers on Twitter so I see all the new ones in the feed. Virtually all of them are not pass through.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure I understand the problem here. Charge ports are at the front or rear of cars. Just pull in front or rear.
Also, just about all of the photos I have seen of European stalls are not pull through... only a rare site.

Not sure I understand the problem here. Charge ports are at the front or rear of cars. Just pull in front or rear.
Also, just about all of the photos I have seen of European stalls are not pull through... only a rare site.
Virtually all the new European sites are pass through. The pedestal sits in-between the spots instead of at the back of spot.

Cars like Porsche Taycan and Chevy Bolt have them on the side near the diver's door. They would need to block a number of stalls for the cable to reach at a typical North American site.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
Given the likelihood of Tesla opening up Superchargers to other brands in the US at some point, why are they still deploying so many with the pedestals parallel to the rear curb?
For one thing that is how the pre-fab units are designed. I'm not sure you could pre-fab the drive thru design.

It may also have to do with the spaces that are made available to them. Mostly on the outer edge of the parking lot.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Given that Tesla opened up its connector, it may have given up on opening up the US network.

But, anyway, their standard installation with the stalls at the edge of the lot is probably cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC