Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Carolina denied Tesla a license to sell in Charlotte

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm confused.....does this mean the store in Charlotte will close or remain open?
If open, what is the difference of having a license vs not?
If I live in Charlotte does this mean I will need to visit Raleigh store to pick up new car?

Maybe the North Carolina DMV thought that two Tesla "dealership" locations would confuse the local populace, and someone might accidentally go into the "wrong" one. After all, the government of North Carolina seems determined to ensure that freedom of choice be restricted for public restrooms, so why not other areas where the public might go?

If I'm not mistaken, the car can still be delivered to the Charlotte Service Center. The issue is that the employees cannot accept reservations and payment at that location.
So is payment all arranged online or over the phone and then I can just pick it up there? They accepted Model 3 reservations there, but maybe those were done differently than a normal reservation for a car that is currently available?

I'd REALLY rather not drive to Atlanta or Raleigh. I was hoping they would actually put one even closer to me by then.

The only reason Tesla needs a dealer license is for paperwork. Sales tax, liscense plates , inspection etc. Tesla operated for years here without one and you had to handle all that yourself. Multiple trips to several agencies. If you wanted to buy one, you did it at home ,or if you were at the sc, they might point you to a computer in the corner.