Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not quite another degradation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2023 Model 3 RWD in mid May 2023. It had 15 miles on it. Per the VIN it was made in California in January 2023. Almost have 4000 miles on it. Tessie says I have .9% degradation. I assume it's calendar degradation but is it 6 months or 2 months. I'm trying to create a graph of battery capacity

FWIW Tessie says 59.7kw capacity so I figured my earliest capacity was 60.3. Sound about right?

How accurate is multiplying wh/mi x range ÷ SOC. The average of my 5,15,30 results in 59.93. Is one of the 3 (5-15-30) more accurate or is an average of the 3 best.

Props to this forum. Charge my LFP to 55 every day and 100 every 2 weeks always setting a departure time. I want this to be the last car I ever own

I bought a 2023 Model 3 RWD in mid May 2023. It had 15 miles on it. Per the VIN it was made in California in January 2023. Almost have 4000 miles on it. Tessie says I have .9% degradation. I assume it's calendar degradation but is it 6 months or 2 months. I'm trying to create a graph of battery capacity

FWIW Tessie says 59.7kw capacity so I figured my earliest capacity was 60.3. Sound about right?
Full pack when new is 60.5 kWh on the later LFP’s.
How accurate is multiplying wh/mi x range ÷ SOC. The average of my 5,15,30 results in 59.93. Is one of the 3 (5-15-30) more accurate or is an average of the 3 best.
The precision of the calculation is down to the rounding of the SOC %.
The higher the SOC, the lower the margin of error.
At 100%, if the charging just stopped it should be spot on.

At 80% the rounding is causing a margin of error of 0.5/80 = 0.6%.
At 10% SOC the margin of error is 05/10= 5% (This is for the SOC part, there is a similar error for the average consumtion and range but they both are mistly numbers above 100, giving very small ertor margin. Higer SOC, higher range —> better resolution)

Use high SOC for this and you’ll be fine.

As 5-15-30mi, do not really matter. Use all three and make the average calc if you like a better precision.
Props to this forum. Charge my LFP to 55 every day and 100 every 2 weeks always setting a departure time. I want this to be the last car I ever own

The battery probably will hold up anyway for 10 years or more but if you like to reduce the degradation:

LFP’s has 70% as the highest SOC number with low calendar aging, so ypu can do 70% without a problem.
Look at the LFP chart.
(All three for reference, 55% is NCA)
55% is as good as 70% for LFP, not worse but so you know you can use 70% and still have low degradation.
To be exact its about 72% true SOC but due to buffer offsetting the dispkayed SOC 70% is the number to use.
IMG_1548.jpeg

Charge late and use 100% often enough to help the BMS keep the track is good.

I'm sure you'll get a good opinion from @AAKEE but were it me, I'd half the difference and call it a 4 month old battery. Two months difference in the calculations should be that much of a change.

I would think that the most important information is not available to you. Namely, the state-of-charge and/or the charging that was (or wasn't) done on the battery while it was sitting those four months.

Thanks for the great info. I tested at 40% SOC so I’ll redo the calculations

Made in January and purchased in May. For my degradation chart, is the battery 6 months old or 2 months?
As you do not know what SOC it had for the time before you bought it I guess you can not use the calculation anyway.

Per definition I would call it 6 months, and count from the Full Pack when new initial value. I would guess Tesla do not store the cars at higher SOC than 50%, but I do not know.

For overseas transport they have started to use low SOC due to new off shore regulations (they offer a 150km free supercharging session as a compensation.
I did get my model S recently with 40% SOC.

As RayK sas, it do not make a noticebla difference in the long run if you use 2 or 6 months today.

I think using 6 months, SOC = 50% and a reasonable tempersture and you have a good expected starting point.

50%, 25C and 6 months would put you at somwhere between 2 and 2.5% I guess:
Lets say 2.25% loss

That would put you at about 59.1kWh.
This is not a exact value, as we have guessed both average SOC and temp.
(Also I took the 2.25% by eye measurement)
IMG_4514.jpeg

Reactions: KenBlub