Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable Hints to add after 8 mths of operation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rain was pouring and wiper was on as I pulled up to speak at the drive thru to order. As soon as I cracked my window to order and the wiper began to wipe from bottom of windshield, all the water wiped came into the car. Since it was raining hard, a $*it load of water came in and soaked the interior. Lesson learned, avoid opening window for even a crack when raining hard and wiper on.

For those who are concerned about blind spots when merging into lanes, keep your rear view camera on at all times. Unfortunately, the rain can obscure the lens.

Whilst driving, if you need to perform a change on the screen, if the buttons are close to the left or bottom edge, use your thumb to stabilize your hand before pressing buttons. Likewise, if the buttons are near the right of the screen, use fingers 2-5 to grab the back, then use thumb to press buttons, can do also with buttons on screen bottom. This will help reduce the time you take your eyes off the road to position your fingers to select the correct button to press.

Rain was pouring and wiper was on as I pulled up to speak at the drive thru to order. As soon as I cracked my window to order and the wiper began to wipe from bottom of windshield, all the water wiped came into the car. Since it was raining hard, a $*it load of water came in and soaked the interior. Lesson learned, avoid opening window for even a crack when raining hard and wiper on.

For those who are concerned about blind spots when merging into lanes, keep your rear view camera on at all times. Unfortunately, the rain can obscure the lens.

Whilst driving, if you need to perform a change on the screen, if the buttons are close to the left or bottom edge, use your thumb to stabilize your hand before pressing buttons. Likewise, if the buttons are near the right of the screen, use fingers 2-5 to grab the back, then use thumb to press buttons, can do also with buttons on screen bottom. This will help reduce the time you take your eyes off the road to position your fingers to select the correct button to press.
Good tips. I use your latter technique to push buttons, whether on right or left, top or bottom. Fingers hooked on edge of screen, and thumb touches the screen.

Reactions: Stach
You can also use the screen visuals to assist with objects in blind spots.

Just yesterday I had someone that I could not see in the mirror cruising in the blind spot (I’ll never understand why people actually stay and continue to drive in that known area, but whatevs). But when I checked the screen the car was there clearly marked.

Listen to Stan. He knows better than you.

I've been adjusting my mirrors for blindspots for over 40 years since that was taught in my driver's ed class. But, for some odd reason, on my Model 3, I can't get my mirror to turn far enough, wide, to fully cover my blindspots. I put some small mirrors on, but that's not a perfect solution, as it takes me more time to look into those small mirrors.

I've been adjusting my mirrors for blindspots for over 40 years since that was taught in my driver's ed class. But, for some odd reason, on my Model 3, I can't get my mirror to turn far enough, wide, to fully cover my blindspots. I put some small mirrors on, but that's not a perfect solution, as it takes me more time to look into those small mirrors.

How tall are you? I am 6'1" and I can adjust the side mirrors correctly on my Model 3.

Maybe try adjusting seat forward and backward and tilt of seat back along with steering column adjustment to see if you can improve mirror alignment with your head, and still be comfortable.

I typically drive on the interstate where I find myself on multi lane (3-5) lanes and I have to maneuver around vehicles.

I agree with what TLLMRRJ posted.
I have my mirrors positioned just like that.
I went 2+ more steps.

I bought a convex mirror that attaches to my rear view mirror. It's 14" wide. The right front passenger seat head rest blocks some of the vision on the right. I typically drive alone so I solved that by reclining the seat back so no more blocking. Some may say that it looks hideous and detracts from the Tesla's minimalistic look but I'm the one who reap the benefits :)

I also broke down my hesitation and purchased the suma performance convex side mirror replacement, $149.00. It's a pretty steep price to pay but I figured it will pay for itself. I justify it by knowing I use it EVERY TIME I drive. I hate 2b penny wise & pound foolish. A $150 to enhance & protect my $50K+ expense is a no brainier. I now have NO blind spots. I would never want to say... Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!!

Reactions: KenC
But, for some odd reason, on my Model 3, I can't get my mirror to turn far enough, wide, to fully cover my blindspots.

I too was unable to get the mirrors adjusted so that I was comfortable with the view so I decided to get the Suma blind spot mirrors ( I got blue ones ). Mostly always wish things cost less but for this I felt it important.

First couple seconds I was disoriented because of how much more you see from before and the change in view; in the end I'm very glad I got them as I get a very good view of cars all around and the added info on the screen is just a plus

Just a customer.

I have the same issue! Doesn't quite go out far enough. IdI am surprised getit dinged for safety rating agency for the short-coming, although I think it is a common malady. Would love it if they could fix the issue!

Reactions: KenC
I'm a little confused about the three choices. So you don't have to hook up any defroster/signal wires? Do they even work on a tesla as I don't have them now.... or do I and I never noticed? Duh!

If you're asking me about the Suma mirrors ie Tesla Model 3 I did not get ones with turn signals and I did hook up the defroster wires.

I think there were changes for self-dimming mirrors but don't hold me to that - for me the blue is just fine

If you weren't asking me, never mind ;)

FYI.
I got the plain Suma mirrors, non blue, $149.00.
There were two push on connectors that I connected.
The third may be for dimming or for the defroster. Use a pointed pliers to extract them since they are on pretty tight. Just to be cautious, since both are black, after detaching the wire on top I bent it a little so I know to replace it to the same position on the new mirror.
Thankfully no codes were thrown else I'd exchange to get the next upgrade.

If you plan to buy, I suggest to use a wooden ruler to help pry the old mirror out. Put a piece of cloth between the ruler and housing to prevent paint damage. Insert ruler from side toward the back middle of the mirror for best prying effect, it took less than 5 minutes.

If you're asking me about the Suma mirrors ie Tesla Model 3 I did not get ones with turn signals and I did hook up the defroster wires.

I think there were changes for self-dimming mirrors but don't hold me to that - for me the blue is just fine

If you weren't asking me, never mind ;)
I was indeed :) Thank you for responding.
Bill (who is about to retire - I have a new car and and I can't go anywhere! argh!)

Reactions: Msjulie