Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla hats.JPG

I'm struggling here with US/UK terminology differences. Rotors I can translate to discs.

What are the aluminium hats please? Where are they fitted?

Finally, is there a specific type of pad material needed or do people use the Tesla standard? If different, does anyone know if they're available in Europe?

I'm struggling here with US/UK terminology differences. Rotors I can translate to discs.

What are the aluminium hats please? Where are they fitted?

Finally, is there a specific type of pad material needed or do people use the Tesla standard? If different, does anyone know if they're available in Europe?
Simon,
We are making 2 piece rotors that have an Aluminum center section(hat) that connects the hub of the car with the cast iron, nitride treated friction disc the brake pads clamp. This is a standard may to make high end brake rotor, saves weight and for our application saves cost for the nitride treatment since the hat portion does not need to be treated. Lower weight means it takes less energy to accelerate or decelerate the car.

The rotor will work with all brake pad materials, we are offering 2 Carbotech friction material options for brake pads that have proven to work well with the nitride coating since they have good initial bite and drivers have found them to create confidence for Roadster drivers who are using the Cedar Ridge Fabrication Tesla rotors.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Simon,
We are making 2 piece rotors that have an Aluminum center section(hat) that connects the hub of the car with the cast iron, nitride treated friction disc the brake pads clamp. This is a standard may to make high end brake rotor, saves weight and for our application saves cost for the nitride treatment since the hat portion does not need to be treated. Lower weight means it takes less energy to accelerate or decelerate the car.

The rotor will work with all brake pad materials, we are offering 2 Carbotech friction material options for brake pads that have proven to work well with the nitride coating since they have good initial bite and drivers have found them to create confidence for Roadster drivers who are using the Cedar Ridge Fabrication Tesla rotors.
Thank you very much.

I just need now to work out whether I am comfortable fitting 4 discs before I confirm my order. This will sound elementary to some of you: is there a video or instruction on what we need to do to get the new discs and pads in place?

I don't particularly know about changing of rotors or pads, but when Dave was doing the rotor / pad change on my car (it's good to be the guinea pig), one thing I do remember that I didn't see at the beginning of that video - be absolutely militant about not getting dust, grease, anything onto the pad or rotor braking surface.

In that video, I could swear that guy put his brand new rotor, straight out of the plastic, down on the ground - at least briefly.

Dave or somebody else can chime in with better detail and info. Keep those braking surfaces completely clean.

@simonog - I also remember enough from the experience to think that I, an avowed non-auto mechanic, could reasonably change my brake pads (at least on the Roadster). There's another video linked, probably in the Technical section, with another view of the pads on an Elise and how the pins and stuff works.

Good luck.

Here is a good video of the brake pad change procedure:

Thanks Sector 111!

As adiggs mentioned, it is important to keep the brake parts clean and free of oil, dirt, even finger prints. I Use plenty of brake cleaner to make sure I do not contaminate the pads or rotor surface. I recommend using CRC Brake quiet or similar product when installing your new pads.
http://ken-co.com/permatex/disc-brake-quiet.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
More good news! We just inventoried the processed friction discs and they look good. We will start doing assembly and should be ready for shipping soon. The brake pads are in production at this time as well, they are the same 'Carbotech' friction material we have used in the past but I found a different vendor for the backing pads with tighter tolerance since the last batch had some issues with the pads rattling. The new supplier is G-Loc(G-LOC Brakes -) and it was started by the same guys who started Carbotech! The best of all worlds.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: DaveD and wiztecy
We are starting the assembly process, it takes a while but we will be e-mailing individuals with shipping info soon! At this time, there are 2 sets of rotors that have not been paid even though 3 people have expressed interest. Who ever want these can get in on this order and not wait for the next batch we make...e-mail me: [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_4308.JPG
    IMG_4308.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 55